Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Just saw Shellac (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=6031)

CHOUT 09.13.2006 01:25 AM

Just saw Shellac

They are so funny live - really one of the funniest bands. Love the Q&As. And they were tight as hell. Todd Trainer is one of my favorite drummers - so fun to watch. Weston said tube amps are for pussies (he has a solid state Traynor bass head in that big metal box). Lots of new songs - the new album will rule I'm sure. They said it'll be out at the beginning of next year. Got a nice big ass door-size poster I ripped off the wall.

Cantankerous 09.13.2006 01:34 AM

i believe we were discussing this.

they were good at the t&g party

CHOUT 09.13.2006 02:04 AM

1000 Hurts is my favorite. I wanna cover Prayer To God maybe.

luxinterior 09.13.2006 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
i believe we were discussing this.

they were good at the t&g party

They were the best ever. Seriously, that was such a good time.

Androol 09.13.2006 02:59 AM

i was a little disappointed with the new year but shellac really delivered

Norma J 09.13.2006 03:18 AM

Am jealous.

whorefrost 09.13.2006 05:22 AM

i saw them in edinburgh a couple of years ago and they were spot on. i have action park and terraform, action park is probably more consistent although terraform has a few more awesome songs...

Rob Instigator 09.13.2006 08:57 AM

the new year is like the polar opposite of shellac. I love them as well. different band for different mood.

shellac fucking rule all live. I had such a blast seeing them in Houston earlier this year. I bought a t-shirt. said hello and chatted with steve albini for a bit. great time.

my favorite is at action park, but i love them all, ALL!
I got the seven inches too. those rule.
my favorite shellac song, the one that drives me crazy and makes my body convulse with rock fury, is DOG & PONY SHOW

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 09.13.2006 10:04 AM

Dog and Pony Show rocks. I like Big Black more though. I'm playing around with the idea of covering Steelworker.

Pookie 09.13.2006 11:06 AM

I went to ATP when Shellac curated and so saw them three days running.

I got up midday Friday, Saturday & Sunday had breakfast and then went to see Shellac.

Monday I had withdrawal symptoms.

nomadicfollower 09.13.2006 03:33 PM

Shellac came to Birmingham recently to a club for 18 and older, which really pissed me off. Shellac is definetly in my top 3 bands. I honestly don't see how anyone could not like them.

nomadicfollower 09.13.2006 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHOUT
They are so funny live - really one of the funniest bands. Love the Q&As. And they were tight as hell. Todd Trainer is one of my favorite drummers - so fun to watch. Weston said tube amps are for pussies (he has a solid state Traynor bass head in that big metal box). Lots of new songs - the new album will rule I'm sure. They said it'll be out at the beginning of next year. Got a nice big ass door-size poster I ripped off the wall.

Another little story.
My sister went to the t&g concert and said she met Todd. He was sitting at the bar, drunk. I think all she really said was that it was a good show, the typical meeting a band member spiel.
To me he seems pretty unapproachable. Like he's a junky. (Or like he might rob you, or insult you, or something)
He's one of my favorite drummers as well. With his sparse, somewhat simple, off beat, drumming.

youthoftomorrow 09.13.2006 06:28 PM

i bought 1000 Hurts a few days ago and i love it. i am very jealous.

Пятхъдесят Шест 09.13.2006 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHOUT

I swear I heard the same thing at this time last year.

CHOUT 09.14.2006 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadicfollower
Another little story.
My sister went to the t&g concert and said she met Todd. He was sitting at the bar, drunk. I think all she really said was that it was a good show, the typical meeting a band member spiel.
To me he seems pretty unapproachable. Like he's a junky. (Or like he might rob you, or insult you, or something)
He's one of my favorite drummers as well. With his sparse, somewhat simple, off beat, drumming.

Ive said before Todd looks like a retarded junkie, but in a good way. He's just hilarious to look at when he isn't even doing anything. I met him recently (he lives here) and he was pretty nice, seemed pretty quiet actually.

PAULYBEE2656 09.14.2006 06:42 AM

wingwalker is probably my fav shellac song. great band. missed em last year in dublin but will certainly get to see em live someday

king_buzzo 09.15.2006 07:40 AM

i cant seem to find any big black/shellac records.