Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Board Suggestion (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=111744)

Toilet & Bowels 05.10.2015 06:37 AM

Board Suggestion

Due to the low levels of activity here these days I think the format should be changed to remove the divisions of Sonic Gossip, Sonic Sounds, Non-Sonic Sounds and Non-Sonics.

If I remember correctly these divisions were introduced as a means to deal with overcrowding of active threads that was a nuisance on the old board. Now the opposite is true, I think the board would benefit from lumping everything back together again.

What do people think and can it be done?

FYI - I know about New Posts and Quick Links -Today's Posts, but that's not what I'm talking about and wouldn't make any difference to how the board operates.

schizophrenicroom 05.10.2015 12:21 PM

i still kind of like the division.

but who knows, a return to the old board style could be pretty funny

Keeping It Gimple 05.10.2015 12:24 PM

bad idea. the top two boards, beyond the wall, are a different territory all together.

Toilet & Bowels 05.10.2015 12:47 PM

What about merging non-sonics and non-sonic sounds then?

Genteel Death 05.10.2015 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
What about merging non-sonics and non-sonic sounds then?

That's a better idea. Not everyone feels like mentioning SY in their posts and it makes more sense for posters who may need to justify their presence on here.

tw2113 05.10.2015 01:52 PM

Non-sonics, and non-sonic sounds are the only two I visit anyway, It'd save me from opening a tab.

I read a lot more than I post.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 05.10.2015 02:09 PM

Dude.. just always click on "new threads" problem (for you) solved

Toilet & Bowels 05.10.2015 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Dude.. just always click on "new threads" problem (for you) solved

No!

!@#$%! 05.10.2015 03:39 PM

hi hi hi

what t&b wants to do is to use numbers to increase numbers

(the more people post, the more people post)

(the reverse is also true- the less people post, etc)

in principle this works.

i remember the days of fullerene when things were really fun but also useful information got obscured, posts got lost, etc-- impossible.

when the board split into 4 boards the lofty boards kept loftier, but this here cesspool got more degenerate. and yet, this degenerate board is the one with more posts, ha ha.

i don't know where i was going with this. i just stopped by & saw. so here.

i think reducing the split could increase activity-- not just visually but by engendering more interaction between boardies. at the same time, people who only post in the board's heavens might be scared off by the invasion of the hoi polloi storming their clouds & flee for good.

well, good luck with whatever happens.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 05.10.2015 03:58 PM

Quote:

No!

I remember when we switched to the new format in 2006 i missed the old format and posted a bitch and moan thread and everyone yelled at me to use the new posts thread section. Ive only used it ever since

greenlight 05.11.2015 03:42 AM

I think this way it is perfect. why mixing non sonic sounds with non sonic? it would be only confusing. this way everything is nicely compartmenalized. besides nothing going change a fact about board activity on here these days anyway (not even renuion...who knows), maybe only visualy as symbol guy is saying. yeah, it used to be much more lively place. but the core of people who used to post here often got older, got busier, I think. There is probably less and less "newborn" fans with bands inactivity. and also there was not so much social media back then, so people would hang around on forums more.? everything is going...ah I don't wont to b pesimistic again :-). one thing is for sure this place on the internet actually means a lot to me, haha. used to be a blast though.

!@#$%! 05.11.2015 09:03 AM

you could totally meld "sonic gossip" + "sonic sharing" = "sonic youth" though. just look at them now.

and non-sonics sounds + non sonics could be avoid the repetitiousness of non-this non-this-again and be one board-- a "general" board so to speak.

so "what are you listening to " and "last movie you watched" would be next to each other for example.

1) sonic youth
2) other

2 boards 2 rule them all
2 boards to find them
2 boards to bring them all
and in the darkness bind them

Toilet & Bowels 05.11.2015 05:42 PM

The more confusing this board is the better.

Confusion should be next ffs.

!@#$%! 05.11.2015 06:22 PM

Quote:

The more confusing this board is the better.

Confusion should be next ffs.

this is the most convincing argument here

i'm joining your cause

Bytor Peltor 05.11.2015 07:21 PM

For those curious, this is what a No Division board looks like.

bloodcrystallisetosand 05.12.2015 02:23 AM

I'm one of the SY news lurker types and I'm afraid to venture into these hellacious depths most of the time, wrong side of the tracks and all that. I think the time has come for a more egalitarian society, where we are not dominated by the politics of fear.

Break down the walls!

I reckon an SY group and an Everything Else group would be the way to go, definitely more anarchic and strange, but in a good way.

evollove 05.12.2015 06:47 AM