Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   KXLU In-Store Review (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=14987)

Angel Dust 07.24.2007 01:45 PM

KXLU In-Store Review

From Rockonthestreets.com: http://www.rockonthestreets.com/stor...io_072307.html

hirsute_biped 07.24.2007 05:45 PM

forgive me, but how exactly can a free show also be a benefit show? i know it said they had sponsors, so did radio stations get money, or "awareness"?

atari 2600 07.24.2007 08:36 PM

hmmm no kcrw this time around...cool they're doing new things in santa monica...

in Santa Monica today:
After her personal assistant quit, Lindsay Lohan tried to run down her car in an SUV. The asst's mother called the police, who came and arrested Lohan for DUI and cocaine possession.
but you probably know already

drrrtyboots 07.24.2007 09:06 PM

That was one of the worst reviews ever, it just exists to promote the cause of the benefit, not to actually inform on the show. Lame.

naughtymoose 07.25.2007 11:17 PM

Yeah, that was pretty lame. Anyway, from what I could see while there, they raised money by selling t-shirts and I heard they were selling some CDs but at raised prices (I heard it was $20 a pop or so). Also, if it was only for awareness, it wouldn't be so bad. I went around the back of the store after the show to see if SY would be there hanging out (they were, btw) and there were a couple other fans there who told me they'd never heard of KXLU before but took all the KXLU stickers, pins, and other stuff anyway. So, the knowledge of it was still seriously spreading, right? And let me spread it out a bit more: KXLU is a pretty damn good station. Look it up.

Sublimedo 07.27.2007 07:20 AM

here's some pics that i took from the show. theres also a couple available from the freeyradio site.

this one, i didnt take

ahh beautiful jazzmastery

not taken by me

Sublimedo 07.27.2007 07:29 AM

lee's axes.

Sublimedo 07.27.2007 07:30 AM

and of course,

i arrow'd us

making the drama scene 07.29.2007 06:06 AM

what about the setlist?
i'm afraid I didn't find it anywhere

Spiritual Amnesia 07.29.2007 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by making the drama scene
what about the setlist?
i'm afraid I didn't find it anywhere

The World Looks Red
Bull in the Heather
Incinerate
Reena
Skip Tracer
What a Waste
Do You Believe in Rapture?
Jams Run Free
———-
Pink Steam

http://www.losanjealous.com/2007/07/...or-kxlu-72107/

making the drama scene 07.29.2007 06:50 AM

thanks Spiritual Amnesia

khchris(original) 07.31.2007 02:14 AM

you people with your cameras...don't you ever go to a show and just enjoy it?

man, it seemed like everyone had a f'ing digital camera trying to lean over people to take pictures:/

Chris Lawrence 07.31.2007 02:24 AM

if it's any consolation, i don't think anybody took any pictures of dntel. ;) and yeah, i suppose that's true, but i guess everyone wants their own memory (or something). i watched while my friend took a few pictures (including a great movie of the explosive 'world looks red' opener - dedicated to me - and 'bull in the heather'). SY were having a lot of fun, it was a very bizarre show. i really respect anybody who waited in that line all afternoon...i hope y'all enjoyed it! i was actually expecting a longer set but considering the fire code drama and amount of people crammed in there, i think they rocked the house sufficiently and it sounded fantastic, especially since the soundcheck in the empty store had been a little shaky (mark jammed 'the hexx', though!). if i can figure out how to get those vids on youtube, i'll try...or something.

khchris(original) 07.31.2007 02:52 AM

i thought it was an amazing show, hands down. couldn't ask for much more considering the circumstances. i used to take pictures when i was a kid and it was great memories and i still look at those pictures in amazement, but it still doesn't keep me from being annoyed. it was bothersome trying to watch the show with people hanging cameras over your head. one person's great memory could also be another person's horrible experience. i guess i can live with a picture or two, but man it was just out of hand, those cameras.

Sublimedo 07.31.2007 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khchris(original)
you people with your cameras...don't you ever go to a show and just enjoy it?

man, it seemed like everyone had a f'ing digital camera trying to lean over people to take pictures:/

Yeh, I agree. I took a buncha pictures in the begining, but to compliment that, I took 0 pictures at Coachella despite being upclose and 0 at the Greek/DN show. That said, it seemed not everyone there was a SY fan. I overheard some peeps mumble "Oh! They do that "incinerate" song!" Maybe a free show at an Urban Outfitters tantalized them. Superior show though.