Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The White Stripes vs. The Raconteurs (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=22093)

✌➬ 05.27.2008 01:00 PM

The White Stripes vs. The Raconteurs

Poll on the way.

✌➬ 05.27.2008 01:10 PM

The White Stripes do it for me. I think I like more of their stuff than the Raconteurs. TWS is much more interesting imo.

✌➬ 05.27.2008 01:22 PM

I haven't seen neither live, I want to see the white stripes live though.

greedrex 05.27.2008 01:23 PM

sorry but both suck ass.
nuff said

marleypumpkin 05.27.2008 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kegmama
Both are great live bands. I enjoyed seeing each band way more then I thought I would, gave me a new respect seeing them in concert. I love Brendan's voice. And Meg is the cutest drummer ever. Her style (she dances while playing) and it's super sweet. But Jack White rocks a lot harder with the WS. Their live stuff where he actually jams is most excellent.

White Stripes shows are full of enthusiasm, improv, & passion. I say enthusiasm because, like Kegmama stated, they have a bounce in their step when they play, I say improv becuase, even though they're playing structured music, they basically wing it live. & I say passion because, it's obvious they love what they do.

Now, I haven't seen The Raconteurs live, so I can't say who's the better show.

SYRFox 05.27.2008 01:56 PM

The White Stripes by far. The Raconteurs bore me, whereas I like the five first WS albums. I thought Icky Thump was boring on the other hand

dazedcola 05.27.2008 02:07 PM

how could anyone think the raconteurs are better ? I mean they have some good songs but they can't compare to the catalog of classic songs the stripes have done.

copper 05.27.2008 02:16 PM

neither.

MellySingsDoom 05.27.2008 02:35 PM

I find the Raconteurs pretty dull, to be honest - I think they treat their music style (the blooz) with a bit too much reverence for me liking. I'm not a particular fan of t' Stripes, but will admit to having a soft spot for the "Elephant" album - a particular time of life etc, plus a couple of nice choons.

demonrail666 05.27.2008 03:03 PM

I've tried with the White Stripes (never heard the Racon-whatevers) but just can't get into them at all. I actually find them quite painful to listen to if I'm honest.

PAULYBEE2656 05.27.2008 04:07 PM

white stripes albums up to elephant are great especially de stijl, thats a stunning album. icky thump i quite like too except for that celtic wig out...

the raconteurs are dull as a cloudy wednesday in february. i like their pre 1920 photo shoot style tho but for a bunch of "talented" people, they make dull music...

Pookie 05.27.2008 04:09 PM

Indifferent. So much so, I can't be

marleypumpkin 05.27.2008 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
white stripes albums up to elephant are great especially de stijl, thats a stunning album. icky thump i quite like too except for that celtic wig out...

the raconteurs are dull as a cloudy wednesday in february. i like their pre 1920 photo shoot style tho but for a bunch of "talented" people, they make dull music...

I agree w/ you on Icky Thump, I thought it was a step up compared to, Get Behind Me Satan. Everything else of their's has some great moments.

atsonicpark 05.27.2008 04:59 PM

This is like comparing dog shit to cat shit: which one stinks more? I'd have to say dog shit, mainly because the shit is usually in larger volumes. Anyway, they both annoy me, but White Stripes did do a few Captain Beefheart covers, which is alright by me, so they are a bit better.

greedrex 05.27.2008 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
This is like comparing dog shit to cat shit: which one stinks more? I'd have to say dog shit, mainly because the shit is usually in larger volumes. Anyway, they both annoy me, but White Stripes did do a few Captain Beefheart covers, which is alright by me, so they are a bit better.

so insightful and witty
good rep on the way
u made me laugh:D

GrungeMonkey 05.27.2008 05:29 PM

white stripes. much more raw, much more interesting, proves how even though meg is a shit drummer, the stripes would be nowhere near as good with a good drummer.

Norma J 05.27.2008 06:21 PM

they're called the Saboteurs over here.

Everyneurotic 05.28.2008 12:04 AM

shite both, but i do enjoy "hotel yorba".