Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   New Bob Dylan single from new album (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=29991)

dazedcola 03.30.2009 02:53 PM

New Bob Dylan single from new album

You can download the first single off his new lp off his site for free until midnight march 31st, so get going. Dylan has been on a writing streak lately with his last few albums and i'm eagerly awaiting to hear the new one.

about the track:
And what a freebie it is: "Beyond Here Lies Nothin'" finds Dylan veering into smoky, blues-lounge territory, where his scratchily delivered lines about the fickleness of love are ornamented by accordion, horns, and a few sultry electric guitar licks.

In an interview posted to his site, Dylan has spoken openly about the influence of '50s-era Chess Records in his new music, and characterized the songs on the new album as having a "romantic edge." "Beyond Here Lies Nothin'" certainly fits the mold.

download it here http://www.bobdylan.com

Kegmama 03.30.2009 02:54 PM

Right on, thanks for the info.

joe11121 03.30.2009 03:04 PM

Thank you for the site + info dazedcola

vulva 03.30.2009 03:14 PM

hasn't written a good album in over 40 years. Not sure why people still care. [/Phil Ochs fanboy]

noisereductions 03.30.2009 03:21 PM

^I disagree. Big time.

afterthefact 03.30.2009 04:31 PM

I disagree also, on the basis of that statement indicating that he has ever written anything good.

OK, that statement had obvious intent to instigate. But seriously, I could never get into anything by Dylan. He always sounded like a broken record to me (this isn't a slam on his voice - that would be too easy - but more on the repetitive nature of his music).

SuperCreep 03.30.2009 05:29 PM

pretty good song. Very Tom Waits-ish.

noisereductions 03.30.2009 05:31 PM

I love a lot of Dylan albums. Big time.

demonrail666 03.30.2009 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperCreep
Very Tom Waits-ish.

I never picked up on that while i was listening to it but, now you mention it, absolutely!

I like it. Looking forward to the new album.

TheMadcapLaughs 03.30.2009 10:15 PM

its okay. not as good as love and theft. but better than modern times.

finding nobody 03.31.2009 01:01 AM

The trilogy starting with time out of mind ending with modern times was alot better then everything he put out in the 80s. The two all acoustic cover albums are behind great also.
Looking forward very much to this one..
..it's funny how he said this one's influenced by chess artists.. "someday baby" and "rollin and tumblin" were pretty big Muddy Waters rip-offs. The second of which Muddy got from Robert Johnson so whatever.

Norma J 03.31.2009 02:40 AM

it's a bold statement, but: anybody who can't appreciate and acknowledge the greatness in Dylans music, lacks any artistic perception.

pbradley 03.31.2009 03:04 AM

I like Bob Dylan.

But I loathe the suggestion that I have to like Bob Dylan.

Norma J 03.31.2009 03:30 AM

are you referring to my comment?

if so, I never said you have to like Dylan. I said appreciate and acknowledge the greatness.

pbradley 03.31.2009 03:58 AM

I don't understand how you could do either of those without liking him.

Other than just bullshitting to shut up some prick. :)

Or have a low opinion of yourself.

Youth_Against_Facism 03.31.2009 04:12 AM

Cheers for the info mate!

gohleekwang 03.31.2009 05:39 AM

solid track! i was disappointed by Modern Times, this one will be better i think.

nothing sound like tom waits though.

Norma J 03.31.2009 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley

So you can't separate opinion from personal taste?

just because you don't like something, doesn't make it bad. and vise versa.

To not appreciate Dylan would be like not appreciating Dali's talent just because you don't like surrealist art. etc.

noisereductions 03.31.2009 07:17 AM

I just want to announce that I'm not reading this thread any longer. It's just gong to piss me off and make me say something stupid.

demonrail666 03.31.2009 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley

I can understand and appreciate that Pat Metheny is a great guitarist without actually liking what he does.