Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Chris Rock's Top 25 Hip Hop Albums (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=30040)

Danny Himself 04.02.2009 06:42 AM

Chris Rock's Top 25 Hip Hop Albums

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/tha_fl...hip_hop_albums

Actually not much to disagree with here! He's definitely spot on with what he says about Paul's Boutique and AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted, he knows what he's on about. There's some wild card picks in there too that I'd never thought he'd come up with, especially Dizzee Rascal? I had no idea he had any success in the US at all.

"People don't have a problem with conscious rap; they have a problem with conscious beats. If you make some ignorant beats, you can say all the smart shit you want."

jennthebenn 04.02.2009 07:12 AM

Plenty to argue with.

"Stillmatic" and not "Illmatic"?

"Mama Said" and not "Radio"?

2Pac in the top 5?

Danny Himself 04.02.2009 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennthebenn
"Stillmatic" and not "Illmatic"?

"Mama Said" and not "Radio"?

2Pac in the top 5?

Aha well he couldn't pick everything? Just like he concedes that De La Soul's first two albums are two of the best ever- they're still not in the list. It's like.. one album per artist list I suppose. I think the reasons he gave for picking Mama Said.. are good enough. Now that you've pointed out his Nas pick.. I'm not sure about that one. I haven't heard that Tupac bootleg and I probably never will, so I can't pass judgement, it might the best thing ever for all I know.

Still a solid list.

noisereductions 04.02.2009 07:26 AM

I can definitely see Pac being in there. BUt what an awful, awful album to represent him. ME AGAINST THE WORLD, THE 7 DAY THEORY, ALL EYEZ ON ME... c'mon!

Some good entries obviously, but some stupid ones too.

jennthebenn 04.02.2009 07:29 AM

He's got more wheat than chaff on there for sure. He was smart enough to pick the two best Wu solo albums, so that's indicative that by and large he knows his shit. Although..."You don't really need a Wu-Tang album; Liquid Swords is all you really need to know." Nah, you need the first Wu.

noisereductions 04.02.2009 07:37 AM

Of course you do!! If you were listening to hip hop when ENTER came out, then you would never ever dismiss it.

And am I the only who thinks Jay-Z has way better albums than REASONABLE? I mean, it's good, but...

Danny Himself 04.02.2009 07:37 AM

I love that he put Doggystyle on there, no shame.

noisereductions 04.02.2009 07:59 AM

No, that's an understandable choice. If you want a good party album, then DOGGYSTYLE is yr guy. Great beats, great flow, etc.

Danny Himself 04.02.2009 08:02 AM

Ahah I know, but I definitely wouldn't put it that high up. Especially above Beasties, Wu Tang, De La Soul, Ice Cube, Eric B and Rakim etc. I guess that's just me though. I'd have put Ultramagnetic MCs on there.

noisereductions 04.02.2009 08:22 AM

No, no, don't get me wrong. DOGGYSTYLE wouldn't be in my Top whatever, but I can understand Somebody putting it in Theirs I guess.

I'd like to say I'd put Ultra up there. But really, CRITICAL BEATDOWN was their best, and still not something I'd consider even Top 100 hip hop LP's of all time.

Danny Himself 04.02.2009 08:31 AM

You think so? I love Critical Beatdown, I'd definitely have it in a list somewhere above 50. Their lyrics and sampling techniques are just insane.

noisereductions 04.02.2009 08:34 AM

They are. I agree. I just have a really, Really large hip hop collection that started about 15 years ago. Over that time I've amassed a lot of albums that have been more important to me, or that I've listened to a lot more. Like my personal Top 100 would probably consist of albums that weren't groundbreaking or important in the overall landscape of hip hop, but that just meant a lot to me. Y'know?

But yeah, there's some excellent sampling on CRITICAL. In fact that's more what I think of that album for, not really lyrics or delivery even. Keith was still years away from his prime.

Danny Himself 04.02.2009 08:42 AM

Hmm yeah I know what you mean. I mean obviously its pretty hard to separate what records are important to us personally and what records we think are important in the overall evolution of music. I don't even try, now, haha.

+

You probably have more hip hop records than I have records of all genres, so you do know what you're talking about.

noisereductions 04.02.2009 08:45 AM

It's the genre that I've listened to/collected the longest. So yeh, I'd say if there was a genre that I had an expertise in that would be it.

Toilet & Bowels 04.02.2009 08:51 AM

unfinished business over strictly business, is he deaf?!

i'll admit straight off that i've never hear dthe carnival by wyclef, but seriously i have a hard time believing that that record is anything other than pure rubbish

noisereductions 04.02.2009 09:03 AM

The Carnival is Wyclef's best solo album. It is the closest to the sound of a Fugees album (chances are good that it started as demo's for the follow up to The Score). Tracks like "Bubblegoose" and "Apocalypse" etc could have easily been Fugees tracks. And good ones.

But having said all that. The record does not belong on even a Top 100.

Derek 04.02.2009 11:22 AM

This thread isn't white enough. I say we talk about Autechre instead.

noisereductions 04.02.2009 11:30 AM

okay. zero zero one. one zero one.

atsonicpark 04.02.2009 11:31 AM

What will be can't be and what has been isn't.

Derek 04.02.2009 11:45 AM

bleep bloop bleep bloop bleep

3875/3325 time signature