Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Pretentious - worst word in the English language. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=41842)

Derek 10.19.2010 05:36 PM

Pretentious - worst word in the English language.

Stop fucking using it. UGH!

Toilet & Bowels 10.19.2010 06:42 PM

it's become so popular in the last 10 years

demonrail666 10.19.2010 06:54 PM

it's the new ironic

!@#$%! 10.19.2010 07:00 PM

it's a perfectly good word that's been overly misused by dumbfucks (just like "ironic" in the 90s or "sarcasm" in the 00's).

rather than accuse innocent words, let's make the right request-- don't be a dumbfuck.

Glice 10.20.2010 03:43 AM

"I'm incapable of constructing a decent argument; please have a weak one".

AND the irony that most 'pretentious' people are perfectly earnest.

I've just finished a book that argues that 'postmodern' nominalisation ends up eliding the possibility of meaningful dialogue, and that we should return to the liturgical culture of the Roman Rite to arrest this process. Something for us all to think about.

Genteel Death 10.20.2010 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
"I'm incapable of constructing a decent argument; please have a weak one".

AND the irony that most 'pretentious' people are perfectly earnest.

I've just finished a book that argues that 'postmodern' nominalisation ends up eliding the possibility of meaningful dialogue, and that we should return to the liturgical culture of the Roman Rite to arrest this process. Something for us all to think about.

When I used to work in a bar at the end of my shift I would be changing into normal clothes and this guy would regularly ask me 'have you finished?'.

Glice 10.20.2010 06:30 AM

That sentence feels like it's missing a 'with spunk glistening on my sanguine lips'.

Glice 10.20.2010 06:31 AM

I'm sorry if crass and unfunny gay jokes are too pretentious for some of you. I'm an artiste, I don't play by your rules. So fuck off.

Incidentally, I think I'm going to end every post with 'so fuck off' today.

Toilet & Bowels 10.20.2010 07:53 AM

i would say for every 500 times i've heard the word used it probably gets used correctly once. plus, what's so bad about pretentiousness anyway?

Glice 10.20.2010 08:00 AM

Moustaches are what's bad about pretentiousness. So fuck off.

candymoan 10.20.2010 08:04 AM

you guys are soooooo pretentious..

atsonicpark 10.20.2010 08:26 AM

Yeah, it's not so much the worst word, but the most misused, especially on imdb! That's why my imdb sig is the full, complete, correct use of the word "pretentious".

Derek 10.20.2010 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Yeah, it's not so much the worst word, but the most misused, especially on imdb! That's why my imdb sig is the full, complete, correct use of the word "pretentious".

This stemmed from when I was thinking about a certain person we've spoken about before calling Jean-Luc Godard 'pretentious'.

atsonicpark 10.20.2010 09:48 AM

That person has never seen a JLG film, knows nothing about him, and knows nothing about movies, period.

The best thing I did was completely stop reading just about everyone's facebook page, except for 4 or 5 people I didn't "hide the status" of. I mainly just use it for email.

SONIC GAIL 10.20.2010 09:53 AM

why don't the lot of you FUCK OFF

Derek 10.20.2010 10:34 AM

Quote:

That person has never seen a JLG film, knows nothing about him, and knows nothing about movies, period.

The best thing I did was completely stop reading just about everyone's facebook page, except for 4 or 5 people I didn't "hide the status" of. I mainly just use it for email.

Yeah, she's a total moron.

The best thing I did was just delete my page. I logged into it the other day after not being online for days and some of the things people were saying just legitimately made me angry. I've never cared for what other people say but when I realised I was actually caring about the diatribe people vomitted onto this cesspool of social hate, I decided it was time to stop.
Quote:

Originally Posted by SONIC GAIL

If Glice fucks off then the rest of us will follow.

Glice 10.20.2010 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SONIC GAIL

You must blah. So fuck off.

atsonicpark 10.20.2010 11:32 AM

great sig, derek.

frusciante is probably one of the top 10 musicians ever

gast30 10.20.2010 11:37 AM

why you found that word the worst?
pretentious = don't think you are more then me

a word to put a hold on some one
like you would like to dim the light
to have some sort of control

i'm a pretencious ass

Derek 10.20.2010 11:39 AM

Quote:

great sig, derek.

frusciante is probably one of the top 10 musicians ever

Lose the 0 in 10 and you're in the right ballpark. :)

Oh by the way Adam, here's some Frusciante links you should check:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL6a9ZbGhEw
VPRO Interview; conducted in 1994 in Frusciante's home while he was a reclusive fucked up heroin addict. He talks about everything from Kurt Cobain to why he loves heroin etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx7oJ7-Xjpg
A short film called STUFF that was directed by Johnny Depp before he was famous. Shows Frusciante's living conditions before that house burned down in a fire (destroying his record collection and guitars in the process). Concludes with Frusciante lying on his bed reciting a poem.

You've probably seen these if you've looked around but more people should see them anyway.