Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   pool hall+ music (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=7976)

cosmokramer 11.12.2006 11:41 PM

pool hall+ music

So, i was in a local pool hall with a couple of friends last night, and they had one of those jukebox's where you can download pretty much any song.
so were sitting around waiting for a table and kinda bored. so i went to the jukebox, and played confusion is next, sy, followed by sister ray by the velvet underground. from confusion is next, i heard one guy say "who picked this?"
then sister ray came on. it was ok for a few minutes, but after a little while, people were getting annoyed. after a few more minutes, they started getting pissed. i was hearing remarks like, this is the worst fuckin song ever. and how fuckin long is this? so by the end there were like 5 metal head guys who looked like they were about to smash my face in.
still no tables were open, and me and my friends left.
it was....funny, i guess, in a wierd way.

Savage Clone 11.12.2006 11:44 PM

It could have been worse.
You could have picked that super-long track on Mainliner's "Mellow Out."

Intellivision 11.13.2006 01:15 AM

It's a mad, mad and a cruel, cruel world.
I can see this happening.
I can really visualize the whole scene.
Thanks for your wonderful post.

Oh shit, I can only imagine what would have happened if you were able to play Metal Machine Music or say, Branca conducting Symphony No. 13 for 100 Guitars Hallucination City...it goes on for an hour; blood would have been spilled.
Alas, the place probably isn't carpeted.

I'm sure were all now wondering where you live. Not that it really matters, but there's going to be that curiousity nonetheless.

wax 11.13.2006 03:23 AM

i love those jukeboxes.
i always used to try for sister ray, but the places i knew always had white light but always left off sister ray. probabaly for that very reason.

cosmokramer 11.13.2006 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intellivision
I'm sure were all now wondering where you live. Not that it really matters, but there's going to be that curiousity nonetheless.

I live in Idaho. It's pretty lame.

youthoftomorrow 03.05.2007 09:03 PM

those jukeboxes are amazing.

cosmokramer and i are friends and we've been to that pool hall numerous times since he started this thread. one of my favorite songs to play is "Super Going" by the Boredoms, which is twelve minutes of alternating back and forth between two chords while some chaotic drumming and electronic stuff goes on. always generates a few interesting responses from the clientele.

too bad you can never go back there, Brian (and i'm really tempted to say why).

afterthefact 03.05.2007 09:40 PM

COnsider yourself lucky, at least you get to take a stand for good music... in any jukebox around here, its either Patsy Cline or Linkin Park, depending on whether you are at Waffle House or the bowling alley :)