View Single Post
Old 07.28.2010, 12:27 PM   #2
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
for mexicans the Virgin represents their very selves, a kind self-reflective cultural symbol, trope and source of identity. In Ethiopia it is VERY similar, in fact I'd say that Mexico and Ethiopia probably are the two most devoted civilizations to the honor of the Virgin Mary in the world (and considering the veneration of the Italians or the Spanish or the Polish etc etc that is saying something)

For me, the Virgin is the same. the embodies the divine in humanity, she is a human, flaws and all, who God chose to dwell upon, therefore she comes to symbolize the very serenity of patience, faith and self-control. Further, she is definitely a source of cultural identity, a kind of rallying flag for folks to gather behind around. She is painted on every street corner here in LA, I have grown up with the Virgin as a basic element of my day-to-day existence. Though I was raised baptist, and we vehemently opposed honoring Our Lady in ANY way..

I have grown into Orthodoxy and found my way around a Hail Mary prayer or two since then

The Virgin is the Ark of the Covenant, where the two tablets inscribed by the very finger of God are placed, which is to say the twin ovaries which bore the living Savior, touched by god, the Ark being her womb, the tablets of Moses being the Ovaries which contained the egg which would become humanity's salvation and grace.

She is the Burning Bush, which was burning in the fire of God and yet was not consumed, just as she bore the Son of God, the Limitless Fire of the True Godhead, and yet even in that little body was not burned or singed in the slightest!

She is the Censur, which bore the blessed coals and incense of our Savior.

She is Jacob's ladder which ascended into Heaven itself

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|