View Single Post
Old 01.02.2011, 11:04 AM   #13640
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I think NIGHTMARE IN A DAMAGED BRAIN is one of those movies I would've thought was the greatest movie ever made when I was 14, or if I had seen it before MANIAC (which is my favorite horror film ever). I'd give it an easy 8/10 now, I love how nonsensical and bizarre it is at some times; other times, it just feels like a standard slasher. Still, they don't make 'em like that anymore, and it's better than 99.9% of other horror films out there, by far.

That's fair enough. I love it but more for a few moments, most of which aren't all that horror-related. The bits with the main guy just wandering around the red light district are great, in the same way that similar scenes in Basket Case are, or Maniac.

Like you, I'm pretty much burnt out on horror films. I spent much of my teens watching little more than the 'classic' Euro/Slasher stuff. I was a big fan of the obvious names (and still am) but there's only so many times you can watch Dawn of the Dead or Rabid or Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Suspiria.

Quote:
The horror I'm into is mainly of the TRULY bizarre nature (night train to terror, body melt, slime city, bride of frank, subconscious cruelty, doom asylum, kamillions, the carrier), the hopelessly and relentlessly bleak (schramm, der todesking, begotten, kichiku dai enkai -- yeah, I'd call it horror -- the beyond, city of the living dead/gates of hell), the fucked-up-beyond-belief-but-still-fuin (monster high, dead alive, rock n roll nightmare, psycho cop 2, don't go in the woods, street trash), and... giallos

I'm not a huge fan of Asian horror but it definitely reinvigorated the genre after the (in my view) pretty awful turn the US took in the 90s and the decline of European horror at the end of the 80s. I really like Buttgereit (Der Todesking being among my favourite films in any genre) but he's been quiet since Schramm and, while they're still making stuff, Romero and Argento haven't made a genuinely good film for getting on thirty years - and Cronenberg doesn't really make horror movies anymore. The weirdest thing is that horror may be more popular now than it's ever been.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|