View Single Post
Old 03.14.2011, 05:10 PM   #51
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
recommendies if you live on the ring of fire:

nterested in your own backyard? My house would survive about an 8, though only about 1/2 would still be standing. I live on basalt with an overlay of highly cemented volcanic ash, it has been stable for, get this 22 million years!

The kitchen and living room is partially supported on pilings, which will probably either shear or slide fail. so there goes the sw 1/4 of the house. Bedrooms, garage and offices are all on double thick shear protected concrete foundations set on the bedrock.

No gas in my neighborhood, so no fires. Check your local gas co for transmission lines, there are some 24" and 36" petroleum pipelines (Williams Gas Co) and also high pressure natural gas lines, some as large as 12" within 5 miles of my house (all running near or through residential areas, by the way)

The houses below me on the flatlands maybe only a 6 (soils will "quick" and earthen dams very likely will fail.)

There's a big neighborhood about 5 miles away that shows evidence of previous large landslides ( basalt columns that are oriented everywhich way, and a "dish shaped" hillside with large amounts of debris slides at it's base) also there are tons of springs on this hill, too, which makes it even worse.....maybe 5 or 6 thousand people live in that area.

So, the conclusion is check your own area, you don't have to live in a dangerous zone. And, without any geologic activity, your property values are probably OK to sell and move to a safer spot
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|