View Single Post
Old 04.23.2012, 08:22 PM   #106
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99
Also, I'm not embarrassed to say that The Shining, for reasons I'm unaware of, is the ONLY movie to actually give me nightmares. In fact, it's hard to remember now, but I think I had a dream a long time ago that Jack Torrence was chasing me with an ax, and he might've been crouched over the end of my bed, similar to how Bob would be in twin peaks behind laura palmer's bed. So twin peaks may be in there as well, two movies that have played tricks with my head a few times.

I like the Shining but the problem I have with it is the same that I have with most Kubrick films, the characters. In the novel you get a real sense of Jack's mental disintegration but in the film he goes from mad to completely insane. Same with his wife, he goes from nervous to hysterical with no in between. Kubrick's characters are like cartoon characters. Think of the sargeant in Full Metal Jacket, Dr Strangelove, Alex in A Clockwork Orange. That can work in some types of films but I think it's a real problem with horror.

I've probably done a list elsewhere in this thread but it always changes so here's my current 10, in no real order:

1. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
2. The Wicker Man
3. Carnival of Souls
4. The Devil Rides Out
5. The Thing (John Carpenter's)
6. Basket Case
7. Dawn of the Dead
8. Shivers
9. Martin
10. Witchfinder General
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|