View Single Post
Old 04.28.2012, 04:45 PM   #292
hypertonic
bad moon rising

hypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanaldoNecro
The song Waiting on a Dream insanely takes off after the first drum crash. What a reccorded moment LEE!

Damn strait. Chill inducing. That first line really hits me esp. being born in CO, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
And about that Pitchfork review, I think it is very poor way to start with Thurston`s and Kim`s divorce. (What itīs got to do with Leeīs music?)

This. Pitchfork never fails to fail. At least the reviews. The fest in Chi is alrght, tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
Some of the negative comments in this thread had me curious, but this record exceeds my expectations completely. He assembled a great group of musicians - you can rarely go wrong with Nels Cline's touch, Steve is naturally flawless, and I love hearing fluid, driving basslines behind these songs - the whole group mixes quite well! Pretty much every song had burned itself into my mind by the 2nd listen.

I think its best to either not have any expectations or to understand his influences before going into it. Yes, it does sounds a bit 60's nostalgic, with hints of Neil Young-ish bits (Cline?). It helps to understand the Brian Wilson-60's-psychrock-Dead strain of thought I and others have recognized i some of Lee's output. The instrumentation/arrangement here is superb though! Nice to hear established skilled musicians backing Lee/SS.

Also, as far as any poetry or musical missteps.. Miles Davis once said "the wrong notes serve to make the right ones look better". I think that SY output in general always had weird moments and things present in them like this (Goo?), but by contrast, really does serve to help put other moments in a certain light (thinking of many Thousand Leaves moments here..). I guess sometimes I appreciate that unabashed honestly/awkward moments in music sometimes. It's more human in a way.
hypertonic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|