View Single Post
Old 04.30.2012, 12:39 PM   #37
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
ah i see where you're coming from. cool. i have similar reservations but i'm not totally mistrustful. the way i see it, the USA will cease to exist before the coca-cola corporation does. so i'm not afraid of the stock market. but i see your point about tangible wealth over "paper" assets. it's a perfectly valid approach.

i myself have looked into cattle as an investment, because that's something i could buy, and have the space to do it, but the cows need babysitting and hard work and the returns are iffy--cattle prices are also subject to market fluctuations. it's not set-it-and-forget-it like owning a piece of coca-cola (coca-cola is just an example. you might, like steve shelley, much prefer pepsi... or apple or google or exxon or whatever). which is why if you're going to invest in tangible assets i recommend doing something you know or do well-- if coins, become a coin expert, if art, you need to be an art expert, because those who don't know are the ones enriching those who know. if trees, then learn about fucking trees (you might know already, but just saying). if you can take care of those trees until they are ready for sale then maybe it's a great idea. but if you are planning to go away and come back in 10 years you might find them destroyed by some weird moth plague or some such shit.

anyway, regardless of how you invest in your future, it's always good to have cash handy, because in an emergency it's all people will take. there is the argument that money will be worthless and you should stock gold. i think gold is overpriced and will go down but so be it, at least gold you can exchange for goods or services-- though the value of it is as arbitrary as anything else. if you're looking for the only valid currency in case of zombie apocalypse, my tought is bullets. because if rome falls and the barbarians invade and the law ceases to apply your land title won't be worth shit. so, in a paranoid scenario, only bullets make sense.

however, i think this is more overblown than Y2K. just because you came of age during a financial crisis it doesn't mean it will always be like that. but everyone sees things differently so i get your point of view.

anyway, regarding personal budgets and an approach to your everyday income--elizabeth warren (i recommended here book but not linked-- it's here though) is one awesome lady who actually opposes much of the current wall street bullshit-- you should really check her out, she's running for senator, bla bla, but yeah, she's legit, not a huckster. you might want to end up saving and investing in different ways but her approach to daily PF is great and really easy to implement. and you'll see how having cash prevents you from getting into debt which is what fucks up most people, much more than zombies. dave ramsey is even more hardcore about cash vs. debt, and he's pretty paranoid about the end of the social safety net, the fucking jesus freak.(he actually used to be a real estate speculator and lost everything, btw).

anyway as far as building a solid future you might want to consider that if you're good at what you do then running your own business might be the way to make it happen, as opposed to, say, keeping stashes of comic books. check out this book to see how a lot of people make it happen with simple "blue collar" businesses, no need to be a lawyer or doctor with a ton of student debt--businesses like diesel engine rental can make you a shitload of money. of course if the world ends there might be no golf courses or comic book readers or diesel fuel left. so, again, bullets.

oh and finally check out this article for pure envy:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...hWT_story.html

how's that for a fucking dream job? (might need registration or something but it's a great story)

anyway best wishes with finals. catch up with sleep and we chat another day if the world hasn't ended by then.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|