View Single Post
Old 04.10.2015, 06:53 PM   #1165
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
thanks chef!

the red onion rules.

here is my repayment for the favor. try making this for your fun:

slice some red onion like feathers (traveling down the meridians from the center). thin. not rings or half rings, not cubes. thin feathers.

rinse with cold water / shake the water off / pat dry whatever

add seasalt

add fresh lime juice

a trickle of a oil (neutral, olive works well too)

fresh chopped chili pepper-- something with more flavor than bite

if you wanna cheat (in a good way), a sprinkle of msg

if lacking limes, red or apple vinegar can work

i know you'll be tempted to add cilantro but try not to. if you need a spot of color try maybe a tiny amount of parsley but chopped very small & sprinkled lightly. you could try some cilantro but do not succumb to the temptation of adding a lot of it and going mexican. it's an onion thing, not a cilantro thing.

DO NOT add tomatos or you'll end up with some kind of salsa for chips. this is more of a flavorful garnish not a dip.

the main thing here are the onion and the lime, the chili pepper is to add an accent but not to overpower.

toss and let it ripen for a few minutes and serve it inside pork sandwiches with crusty bread. or over some beans. or with a fried fish fillet. or with a steak, even. great with a crisp lager or pilsner beer.

do NOT prepare it in advance because after an hour or so it will become soggy-- though the flavor may deepen in the fridge the texture will be a bit crap. i've eaten it up to a day old, in desperation, but it's kinda like leaving a camembert in the sun.

enjoy!

great. gonna try it really reduced... just with lime juice. "lime-skin" caramelized with some sage. At the step you salt them... that's where it's at. i think "i" want some of that garlicy, harsh taste fo the onion... so, not too long. as I understand you right, you use homegrown onions... you want to keep their "character".
i'm such a jerk
cooking, ha?
A Thousand Threads is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|