View Single Post
Old 04.18.2015, 02:56 PM   #1173
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Thousand Threads
hey symbol man:

the onoin thing.... good stuff. kinda hard to combine with other stuff.

so... avocado.
what do you do with it?
developing a starter with avocado. was thinking about a salbitxada sauce or maybe tahini joghurt... just the pure saltet slices of avocado (salted) and throwing some pomegranade seeds and basil as topping.
what do you think?
how is it used in america, the avocado that is? not interested in guacamole.

how'd you do it?

i would stuff it with crab meat! cut in half and filled in. too obvious uh?

i don't know what salbitxada is (sounds basque)... lemme google...

oh it's catalonian! (close but not too close). never had it. like a sauce? oh charred green onions! mexicans do that too-- the grilled onions.

this recipe: http://spanishfood.about.com/od/side...Salbitxada.htm is it real/correct?

if so-- you wanna make like a creamy avocado sauce/paste?

i don't know.... avocado can be treacherous. one ill-tasting piece and the whole will taste rotten

i live in the us but i'm not originally a gringo btw-- i immigrated from south america. i live here now but my roots are... a lot tastier ha ha ha.

so, that onion thing, it's eaten with everything... rice & beans... pork... roast chicken and fries... fried yuca... it is very potent and sort of takes over though, you need bold spices like cumin in the meats to stand up to it. but people put it on everything-- meat empanadas... there is no end. i bet it would go great on falafel. or doner kebab. try it.

avocado is a tricky bastard. i like it in a sandwich-- like, a steak sandwich? wow. a shrimp sandwich wowowo. i like it stuffed with cold salads (egg, chicken, shrimp, etc). i like it on a soup like menudo (cow parts, posole, chile) or a bean soup (you add it at the end). for an appetizer i don't know... i know some traditional versions that are a bit "porky", but you wanna innovate yes?...with seafood is great (but i know you're allergic). also cold potato and lime. bit of mayo. also hardboiled egg goes well with it.

here's a funny thing about the avocado--i think of it as salty food, a vegetable, but it's a fruit and it goes well with sugar too. in brazil it's eaten with sugar instead of salt and it's used in fruit juices (try it in a smoothie, it;s awesome). so consider some sort of sweet twist. wait, what about some sweet/sour accent like tamarind? or one of those balsamic reductions in a squirter that are everywhere these days lol. or strawberry! (it's the season) i wouldn't know without a test kitchen, but basically sweet, salt & sour go great with it-- it's a creamy fat. bacon, ham... sour cream?

you could try a refined version of the mexican "pepitos" which is a simple sandwich of grilled steak with avocado on french bread (bolillos). (well, maybe otehr things if you do the full torta). puta madre those are so good!

another could be yellow/waxy potato slices with maybe a delicate fish fried some lime and the avocado on top?

with lobster, damn, i've never eaten it with lobster but i bet it's tremendous.

yes i know i'm rambling but i hope it some of it sends you on a trip to a new place that's good... maybe with one of your local farmer pork things...
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|