View Single Post
Old 05.26.2016, 07:19 PM   #2052
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
the true weird, Butthole Surfers, Big Black, early SY, Unsane, will always sound weird. it never got played out.

I bought Bleach when it came out, and Nevermind when it came out and while I loved those things to death they were nOT WEIRD. They were middle-of-the-road alternarock, which is why they appealed to so many people.

I play old Butthole Surfers songs to 20 year olds I know,a nd my friends play them for their high school art students, and they are straight weirded OUT. They do not have sonic context for such aurally wrecked music.....

Agreed, Nirvana wasn't weird. Not compared to the Surfers, that's for damn sure. Or the Melvins. Or Sonic Youth, Big Black, etc. But they were pretty bizarre for such a big band. All those minor chords... it was like the opposite of the upbeat fist pumping punk played by the Ramones. It's super weird that a song like "Mill It" was on a 7x platinum, #1 album. Compared to the normal, Nirvana was quite strange.

I wasn't even referring to them when I spoke of weird music, but you have to admit, it's weird that "In Bloom" and "Heart-Shaped Box" are now played on classic rock stations. It's weird that that band is in the rock and roll hall of fame. Compared to the other alternative rock groups, Nirvana was extremely different. I don't believe they were middle of the road alt rock. Not at all.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|