View Single Post
Old 05.26.2016, 08:57 PM   #2057
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Haha you're still in denial as you over think it as always. You keep framing those bands in OUR generational context not the current generation's perspective. Hey I'm just the messenger don't blame me for bringing what I'm supposing is to you bad news. Is what it is. We listen to dad rock. As rob mentioned, our music at the least weirds them out more than it interests them. There is no shame in it. I don't entirely mean it as a diss so much as a declaration

Ok, I get what you're saying and everything, but I keep trying to say that "dad rock" isn't generational. It has nothing to do with age. What the fuck would it mean if it literally meant "music that people who are old enough to be parents listen to"? That means nothing!

It could be ANYONE. Kids like Ed Sheeran (lame, dumb kids), but he's dad rock as fuck. He was in elementary school when I was in college (I think). He's far younger than I am, yet he's dad rock up the ass.

Again, dad rock mean something else.

Because most "kids today" have no fucking idea who Sonic Youth even is, and because the members of the band are still pumping out crazy music (did you hear Thurston's live split with THE THING last year?), and because Sonc Youth (and Joy Division, Butthole Surfers, blah blah blah) exist outside of mainstream popular culture, the CAN'T be dad rock!

If dad rock did have anything to do with age, then anyone over the age of 12 would be listening to dad rock. It doesn't. It's a term that applies strictly to music that is populist and normal and known by kids who think Skrillex or whatever in the cool thing thing these days.

I knew who the Eagles were when my dad played their shit ass music, and I knew by their shitty crappy songs that they were lame as fuck.
So they were dad rock.

Nobody Fucking knows who Sonic Youth is. Seriously, the average person has no goddamn idea. If you've been a Sonic Youth fan as long as I have, you know this. Best case scenario, you get a "I've heard the name, but I don't think I know them" kind of response, from people in all age groups.

What you're basically saying is that Sonic Youth is to now what the Eagles were to then. And that's absurd!!

Sorry, but we just need to either agree to disagree, or you need to sharpen your pencil tip and dig what I'm trying to say.

DAD ROCK IS LAME POPULIS MUSIC MADE BY LAME WHITE MALES.

Just because music is old doesn't mean it's "dad rock" ... ESPECIALLY IF IT'S NOT ROCK TO BEGIN WITH!!! And dad rock can be brand spanking new.

Music that exists outside of the popular mainstream consciousness is not subject to this shit.

I don't care what any of you say, Sister is not dad rock because if you put it on do your kids they're going to have fucking nightmares, or tell you it's noise... not tell you you're a lameass. Ditto for Aphex Twin. And Fugazi. And Glenn Brana. And anything else that holds a permanent place outside of the rules and structure of pop music.

Now Radiohead probably is a bit dad rock. As is Wilco. Sure. Yeah. And tons of others. But you're batshit crazy if you think Squarepusher's dad rock just because it's from the '90s you freaking label Nazi.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|