View Single Post
Old 09.18.2022, 10:40 PM   #25289
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
well he's not going to make any more lol. i am not a fan either, although he was "important". massively influential, a bit like one might not like cubism but has to recognize that it changed painting.

yup, this is it. i feel like this convo re: Godard has played out the same through out the years in this thread lol. i also cannot stomach the pedantic & didactic stuff he felt so compelled to make. i saw his last film, the image book, in a theatre and yeah... maybe i'm dense, but unpacking it did not feel fruitful.

but his best films have a certain compelling energy to them that i am still a sucker for. call it nostalgia. it was through Godard that I came to know Bergman, Fellini, BRESSON, countless others. Godard was a gateway drug into that whole world. i remember sitting and watching these films on an old tv/vhs hybrid, back when netflix streaming was new and it had everything on it (like all the Pasolini films). great memories of discovering cinema.

anyway...

the past week or so i worked through this box set

five easy pieces & the last picture show are 2 of my favorites. easy rider is what it is, and head i congratulate for just how weird and off-putting it must have been to the monkees fans who went to see it.

the other films are fun, but ultimately just full of energy with out much coherence. A Safe Place features a hilariously strange Orson Welles as a magician. this must have been around the time he was trying to get The Other Side of the Wind filmed.

TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|