View Single Post
Old 10.05.2022, 11:54 AM   #25306
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I think that Reality Bites tried hard to ape some of the feeling that went into Douglas Copeland's novel Generation X.
yeah it... well yes but i think it was genuine though, the writing. they were authentic generstional concerns--the damage left behind by boomers, the aids epidemic, the (at the time) economic malaise from reaganomics hangover, the "overeducated underpaid" problem, the futility of "progress" etc etc, all of that was very real at the time. so yeah the movie makes heavy use of those issues, it's not very subtle hahaha. starting with winona's opening "i don't know" valedictorian speech, it's all genuine but also very on the nose (because it was kids who made it, and that's okay),

for me the other texas movie that does it better is linklater's "slacker" with his roving camera through various places in austin, showing people doing fuck knows what, hanging out, paranoid 20-monitor rooms, rambling about parallel universes, etc. it's all there but without having to spell it out with sharpies hahaha. ah, i wanna watch it again...
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|