View Single Post
Old 09.04.2023, 11:40 AM   #25558
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_

the movie is OK-ish, but it's got some truly horrific music

Fantastic movie and an absolutely iconic soundtrack. And I'm not just saying this because Karas was allegedly born a few blocks from where I live.

That tune is so fucking catchy. I think it actually was one of the first instances that made me reconsider my distaste for what they call "Volksmusik" a bit - around here that term usually gets attributed to dismal "Schlager"-music that is either evoking idyllic rustical vapidness or antiquated vapid courtship shenanigans. However, true "Volksmusik" also exists and can be good from time to time -in spirit not unlike British Folk in let's say the 60s and 70s - played differently, but similar vibes in tone and content. I think Karas' soundtrack kind of planted that thought that just because something is played in a rustic and dare I say "quaint" way, it doesn't necessarily have to be bad.

Also, the song perfectly fits what they call the Viennese character - a chipper and easygoing temper in the face of doom. I think there'd have been no better way to score the gloomy atmosphere of post-war Vienna than a chipper ditty like that one. It taps right into Viennese humor - very morbid, but delivered with ease and tranquility, also a good bit of silliness.

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|