View Single Post
Old 04.15.2006, 06:43 PM   #63
khchris(original)
100%

khchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by truncated
I'm not necessarily dumping Sebadoh in the general category of "bad" - I simply could never see why they had such devout fans. Ordinarily I can see the appeal that many bands I dislike have to others (goddamn subjectivity again), but this one just escapes me. I was certainly not trying to be contentious by asking what their appeal is - I was genuinely curious.

Easy.

Honesty.

That's what early Sebadoh was about. It was about feelings, getting feelings out of your system the most honest way(ever heard their "ASSHOLE" 7-inch? It's all Lou talking shit about J).

Sebadoh also was about care free as a band could be. They would record on tape recorders, not giving a shit about quality.

I honestly can't remember another band who touched on feelings as well as Sebadoh when it came to love, adolescents, parents, and even smoking pot. They were fun and honest.

As much as I love smog(Loved FORGOTTEN FOUNDATION and JULIUS CAESAR), Sebadoh really inspired a generation to not be afraid of being honest.

Sebadoh was not about "style", "trend", or "what's cool and current". Their style was about "honesty" and poking fun.

Unless you really got into them earlier on or their early material, you probably missed all of what made Sebadoh so special.

I kinda rank bands by consistency, and to put out 3 incredibly amazing albums in a row is quite an accomplisment that not even more respected bands like Fugazi ever did. Sebadoh's III, Smash Yr Head, and Bubble & Scrape is as good of a 3 album run as SY's Evol/Sister/Daydream Nation. Maybe not as good, but damn close.

Oh yeah, Sebadoh didn't sound like anyone either. It's not like you can listen to Smash yr head or Bubble & Scrape and say, "oh, they sound like SY or (such and such) band), unlike Pavement, Unwound, and some other great bands during that time.
khchris(original) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|