View Single Post
Old 04.30.2007, 04:28 AM   #48
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
I'd like to turn Les Nuits Secrètes into a legend. This young festival takes place in a very small town, Aulnoye-Aymeries, 40 kms from the biggest town, Valenciennes, north of France, whose inhabitants do everything for the festival and groups.
I saw Liars there, play at midnight on a stage in a small garden, in front of 100 persons. That was great.
It's really close to the boarder, Belgian and Dutch folks.

Little places tend to turn a gig I've attended into a legend anyway (the Buff Medways in Brest).

I never saw Ascension, but I remember clearly a band whose supporters booed before leaving the place.
That was 2001, and the band was Sonic Youth, playing John Cage, Steve Reich (that's a shame all those youngsters booed Winant & Shelley on that piece) at Paris Olympia.
I thought sonic youth had an open-minded audience but that night it wasn't the case. People were there to hear Schizophrenia, they had not listened to SYR4, and they had hoped for something legendary : many people were dropping Brigitte Fontaine's name, hoping that she'd show up and play with the band.
The booing, and leaving turned Richard Edson's comeback with the band for one piece into something sour. I don't know how he felt.
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|