View Single Post
Old 07.26.2007, 03:55 AM   #1
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
I had the urge to dedicate a thread to one of the best artists around. Well, at least for me. I just bought his book 300 Tons and Previous Works.
It's a must have for anyone interested in his art.

Santiago Sierra's work courts shock and risks accusations of coercion and manipulation. It has attracted the attention of the police and criminal gangs, as well as presenting difficulties for galleries and politicians around the world. Sierra goes out of his way to make life difficult - or is it to show how difficult life already is?
A lot of his work reflects the uselessness of capitalism.

250 CM LINE TATTOOED ON 6 PAID PEOPLE
Espacio Aglutinador. Havana, Cuba. December 1999

Six unemployed young men from Old Havana were hired for $30 in exchange for being tattooed.

-------------------

THE WALL OF A GALLERY PULLED OUT, INCLINED 60 DEGREES FROM THE GROUND AND SUSTAINED BY 5 PEOPLE
Acceso A. Mexico City, Mexico. April 2000

A tablaroca wall installed into the gallery was pulled out from it's place, and for four hours a day, over a period of five days, five workers acted as a buttress to keep it at 60 degrees from the ground. Four of them held the wall while a fifth checked that the inclination was correct. For the five working days, each worker earned 700 pesos, about $65.