View Single Post
Old 07.30.2007, 09:23 AM   #13
ThePits
stalker

ThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's asses
I think where things go wrong are when the human rights of the minority of people who either sail close to the edge of illegal or terrorist activity override the human rights of the majority of people who have a right to live without the fear of terrorisim or crime

Where politicians consistently fail is in striking a balance between the two

What also clouds the issue is the cynical use by politicians of exaggerating the threat of crime or terrorism to make themselves more electable

The promise of ever more draconian laws and punishments for lawbreakers, how often have we heard those pre election?

This kind of jingoism means that in most countries the public really doesnt have a true picture of the threat to them of any form of crime, terrorism included

By the same token, human rights organisations, lawyers and committees can hardly be called impartial either

Without perceived breaches of human rights, their raison d'etre goes out the window too

Who can envsage a human rights committee sitting for months and coming to the conclusion that no human rights were under threat or breached?

The public would soon start wondering what they hell they were being paid for

One possible solution to the mess would be to let the judiciary recommend what laws and changes to laws were necessary

This obviously only works in a system where judges are not appointed politically

But at least the human rights of the majority might get a look in alongside the human rights of the minority for a change

I for one believe I have a human right not to be blown up, robbed or assaulted
ThePits is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|