View Single Post
Old 05.13.2008, 04:25 PM   #27
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Yeah, and so are a number of artists from the era, but I've never considered Johns to be Great in the same way that I think of Rauschenberg, Warhol, Francis Bacon and Barnett Newman, all of whom are now dead, and Richter who is still alive. These for me are the five major painters of the post-war era. Just an opinion of course. Certainly not something I could possibly prove.

EDIT: I might add Rothko to that list, but he's dead too, so the point still stands.

I'd agree with the above whole-heartedly. Johns is good, certainly. Enjoyable, even. But not arresting in the same way as Rauschenberg. Richter I probably wouldn't remember in anything other than an academic sense were it not for SY, and even so I'm not that bothered.

I'd personally disagree with Warhol/ agree more than entirely. I have a very love/ hate relationship with him - his aesthetico-politico import always seems entirely at odds/ entirely complicit in the fact that I feel absolutely nothing when I see a Warhol (and I don't mean Ikea reprints of Warhol).

Franky Bacon slays me even in rubbish bitmapped versions. I have a hare-brained theory about his art that I'll share when it's published [never].

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|