Thread: Bikini kill
View Single Post
Old 06.02.2006, 01:49 PM   #77
AllHandsOnTheBigOne
children of satan

AllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
IT JUST DOES.

There is no rhyme or reason behind it.

Well, take a composer like Richard Wagner. His music was strongly nationalistic and strongly anti-semitic, lashing out against Jews. Many people currently enjoy Wagner despite what the music meant to Wagner. The music means something else to its listeners. Should they stop listening simply because they're enjoying it for a different purpose from what Wagner intended?

I'm just saying that if the music has affected me emotionally in a certain way, and then I find out that the artist intended it differently, I had still been affected emotionally in that way. I had related to the emotions put forth in the music. I think the most human (and least "cold" and "precise") thing about art is that everybody can appreciate it in different manners and there isn't only one meaning (that of the artist's).

I don't necessarily agree with Bikini Kill's politics either. But instead of focusing on what's being said, how it's being said is what's important to the song as a piece of music. In my mind.