Thread: Mattin
View Single Post
Old 03.25.2009, 01:07 PM   #3
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
His stuff withavant trombone player Radu Malfatti are straight up concrete damaged musiques full of space and silence, very indebted to Morton Feldman'sm most avant stuff.

1) Lower-case improv is the most conceited music I've heard, and I've heard a lot of it. While I love A & R Davies, Wastell and Nmperign, Malfatti & Sugimoto are two of the most patronising cunts I've ever had the misfortunate to hear (and that's before you read interviews with them). It's the opposite end of the spectrum to noise, but it's the same conceited 'we don't want people to get it' elitist bollocks.

2) Morton Feldman wrote AMAZING music. It is much more useful to think of his music as something that challenges the paradigm of tonality in a lineage stretching from Debussy than it is to pigeonhole him as 'avant' - the notion of there being an intensive lineage of 'avant' (avant>more avant>most avant) is self-defeating and juvenile. Feldman is far more interesting than merely avant garde music, just as Rothko (or whomever) is a name we remember over and above the legion of abstract expressionists in history's waste bin.

3) The latter point leads onto the next: no matter how hard he tries, no matter how much his rhetoric carps on about it, no matter how many times he tries to 'undermine' existing paradigms, Mattin's music will always be utterly shit.

4) If you do not think Mattin's music is shit then you have shit for ears.

5) Mattin's one success in the world is that he manages to piss me off a little bit if I think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|