Thread: Bikini kill
View Single Post
Old 04.06.2009, 10:02 AM   #112
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhler
i can't believe all the hate at the beginning of this thread. i'm sure everyone here knows what i think about bikini kill. they are one of my favorite bands. if you say you like punk and don't "get" or like bikini kill then you really don't like punk. plain and simple. that's just the true hard facts.

A lot of times when I see my old posts in necro'd threads, I'll feel like I could have said something differently or not said anything at all.
Not this time. I'd pretty much say it again the same way. There are no "true hard facts" in subjective matters like musical taste, and statements like the above only serve to bolster arguments against the kind of super-uptight attitude in that scene that refuses to acknowledge that any criticism can be made about the musical shortcomings of a band perceived to be "important" to a small subculture.
I have punk rock records that I bought before you were ready for cloth underpants. Bikini Kill's actual music, to my ears, was unexceptional and "average" at the best of times. I loved punk growing up, immersed myself in that music for many years and drew my own conclusions as to which bands I found exceptional and unexceptional with a pretty broad frame of reference regarding The Punk Rock. I would argue exactly the opposite of your original slant: it was precisely because I did enjoy punk music for a long time and listened to a whole lot of it that I found Bikini Kill to be a giant snore. If the words are all that counts, you should really just write a book. The music has to count for something if you are in some kind of Musical Combo, for god's sake.

Personal taste.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|