View Single Post
Old 06.07.2009, 05:14 AM   #38
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Yeah, there's always a lot to be said for the context - as you say, a short-term thing doesn't need to be perfect. But it's things like the National Portrait Gallery is so busy... it almost feels like a teenager's bedroom, every available space plastered with picture. I mentioned Whiteread before because I think she's one of the few people to do something with the Turbine Hall at the Tate Modern. Potentially such a brilliant space, but fucking impossible for anything with much of a degree of subtlety. The Twombly exhibition at the same was great, but the Richter pieces felt very much like they were plonked in a room (and they were meant to be first-time showings).

But, having said that, I'm really not the greatest appreciator of art, I don't seem to manage one gallery a month nowadays.

I've never seen any Twombly irl, I get the impression I would like his work a lot more in person than I do from books. In books, it just gives me a 'so so' to 'enjoyable'.

HA, I think.. (at a guess) that for the National Portrait Gallery.. to justify public arts spending you need to have as much of your work on display to the public as possible. Not even only for the locals, but to draw the tourist visit and dollar. Unfortunately for us art lovers, not all tax payers are happy to have their dollars spent on 'fuddy duddy' which will sit in a back room and only come out once a year or so..

As for anywhere else... who knows.