View Single Post
Old 06.16.2009, 03:38 PM   #47
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
2 things, and they're points I've made time and again here, so I won't go into any detail.

1. Authenticity is, was, and ever shall be bullshit. Music is an ARTFORM. Pearl Jam are SHIT. They can play their instruments, and they sing about their REAL LIFE but they are SHIT.

2. Any negative criticism of the marketing model of a band made by a fan of Sonic Youth is inherently dubious. Ashtray Navigations use marketing, they just don't have the clout of Disney.
A fine counterargument to someone who would criticize Disney bands but I'm simply asking, is it really is all that surprising that people would criticize Disney bands along those lines of argument?

But to your second point, surely there is a distinction between marketing models (of which, I assume, there are a large variety) and marketing itself. I think somebody criticising Disney bands wouldn't condemn all marketing but argue that Disney uses an exaggeration of a wrong marketing model that subjugates artistic integrity to demographic aesthetics and commercial presence (or something, this is not my own argument). For instance, Sonic Youth and Ashtray Navigations don't have their own television shows, nor do they have cameos in their labels' latest summer movies (as with the new Night at the Museum film).
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|