Thread: Girls Rock! DC
View Single Post
Old 08.17.2009, 04:41 PM   #96
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

notyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
$0.01: Much like the way to truly equalize blacks and whites is to stop bellyaching about the past and not be so surprised when an African American actually accomplishes something, girls/women don't need the world watered down for them. Wow, a girl/woman playing guitar! Big whoop. She's a human being, all of whom are able to express themselves if they so desire.

$0.01: Western civilization is male-dominated only on the surface. Where do you think the expression,"Behind every successful man is a woman", came from? Many guys do the things they do because they want to impress the girls, even if it's on a subconcious level.

I don't think that feminism has anything to do with bellyaching. Feminists sometimes refer to the past because it's so dangerous to forget completely. History repeats itself. It's all too easy to shove things aside and say that we are colorblind/gender-blind etc. However problems still occur. My friends are still rape victims. Domestic violence still kills. Women are being trafficked to work as sex slaves at astounding rates. etc. etc.

Early on this thread I referred to myself as being a radical feminist and that seemed to get everybody all heated up. Radical feminism is, to me, a personal and political philosophy in which I attempt to engage with the root causes of these situations. It's about a lot more than loving your body fat and masturbating with a daisy guitar and wearing pink barrettes. To me, radical feminism is about the why?

In my opinion, Girls Rock camp helps girls at a time where they are being bombarded with negative images. It provides them with a positive way to channel things. It helps them find their voice. Also, it provides access to instruments for those who might otherwise not be able to have it. It's important to remember that parents and girls enroll willingly into the program. Nobody is forced to do it!

People should be allowed to have their own definitions of feminism. It's dangerous when you try to create a singular one because everybody has their own experiences. Let people define and explore it for themselves, if that's what they want to do. So Satan, if you don't identify that way...fine. I don't agree with you, but you are also an adult (i'm assuming) capable of making your own decisions. Right?

I really hope that I don't get more shit for "lecturing" or not being "chill" etc. etc. I really don't appreciate that. And it doesn't reflect very well on this board, the offical sonic youth message boards. I've been reading a lot of other people's personal philosophies about everything on this board. And I don't see why my opinions have turned me into the board cunt over every other individual. So yeah, please don't post another "shut up" thing because i have a right to engage in a conversation. Plus, i think it's a pretty interesting one. Or at least it was before it became a giant shit fest.

notyourfiend is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|