View Single Post
Old 06.02.2010, 04:51 AM   #112
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
That a change from one thing into another is impossible without a unchanging substratum substance?

you lost me with "unchanging substratum substance". sorry. im not trying to be a smartass. i just don't get what those 3 combined words mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
I'm just skeptical that there's any definitive way to say that engineering, math, science, and logic 'got started,' let alone by males.

you think those things existed since the days of our lemur ancestors? from what i know, they started with civilization, though they may have their precursors in tribal stages. but the tribal mind is ruled by mythical/magical thinking rather than logic and rationality. levi-strauss i think did a study of that and listed the various cognitive differences-- i read about it ages ago & would look up but it's almost 4am.

if you look at the development of western culture, it all began with tearing nature into small manageable pieces that were simple enough for us to understand, classify, generalize, articulate "laws" about them. only in the XX century with systems theory, ecology, etc, we began to realize that our little boxes are useful fictions, and to increase their usefulness we must understand them as interconnected and not isolated from other little boxes.

and again, for the 5th time, not started by "males", but by objectification as a function of the mind. if you read my post above (somewhere) i claimed women objectify too (though they tend to be more graceful at it than us oafs) (oaves? hmmmm...)
--

ps i think here: http://books.google.com/books?id=JI6GVFbP9hAC&dq=levi-strauss+the+savage+mind&printsec=frontcover&source =bn&hl=en&ei=_ikGTKXdL4H48AamlfiRDA&sa=X&oi=book_r esult&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CCoQ6AEwAw#v=onepage &q=levi-strauss%20the%20savage%20mind&f=false
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|