View Single Post
Old 10.13.2022, 01:00 PM   #25330
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I cannot watch any film where the director chooses to hover over a rape.

You can show a person being assaulted without actually showing us 5 minutes of torture.
same, that kind of thing will make me turn off the movie.

except one time, when almodóvar went to the edge of art and made a funny rape in "kika". it wasn't a "real" rape, there was no portrayal of suffering, there was a rape happening but it had a hilarious dialogue and broke all conventions, so most of the audience was laughing at the absurdity of the situation.

i went with a group, and after the movie one of the women protested earnestly that "a woman getting raped is never funny," but the woman i was with at the time said that while in real life this was true, *this* movie rape was a funny one regardless. so it was ideologically "wrong" but artistically successful i guess. i can't explain it, nor recreate the humor by narration, but i know funny when i see it, and that was very funny back then. also the fact that someone would have the gumption to try and make a rape funny was hilarious in itself. [eta: think "the aristocrats"]

unfortunately it's hard to find the movie in the usa these days, perhaps because of that scene, or because of something else, i don't know. but i've been wanting to rewatch it and see if i get the same reaction 100000 years later, because some things just age poorly, but so far no luck.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|