View Single Post
Old 01.21.2019, 06:08 PM   #23416
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
More than aything I think he's a filmmaker of moments. Not saying his films don't hang together as a whole but, like the others, I find certain scenes in Country Priest ... not even scenes, but moments within scenes, like the priest's vague, almost imperceptible smile while riding on the motorcycle, another of those true hallelujah moments that Bresson alone seemed capable of.

"It seems to me that [Bresson] is the only director in the world that has achieved absolute simplicity in cinema. As it was achieved in music by Bach, art by Leonardo. Tolstoy achieved it as a writer." - Andrei Tarkovsky

Yes! Totally agree. Bresson makes you lean forward so much into his vacuum and you feel so cold and then those 'hallelujah' moments make you feel redeemed in a certain way. And he can do it with just a shot of someone's hands, a doorway or a piece of music.

Is that quote from Sculpting in Time? I love that book. I'm not too well versed on 'film theory', but it seems to me that he had a unique and profound opinion on what cinema is and really wanted to separate it from all other art forms.

mmmm Tarkovsky and Bresson, my two favorites!
TheDom is online now   |QUOTE AND REPLY|