Thread: Last Days
View Single Post
Old 05.12.2010, 01:59 PM   #27
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
No, trust me, I get the film, I just don't see anything special in it, a scene or two notwithstanding, the whole film felt incredibly lazy and self-indulgent. Sure, there's some nice sound editing and pretty images, but what film doesn't have that stuff nowadays? A film like this can be made by any hack with a camera; that's why I keep bringing up Van Sant's other films, because he has proven he is not just some hack, he actually has a great deal of talent and imagination.

C'mon, Adam ... really?

Last Days slaps a nerve in me that very few films ever do. This is the same nerve seemingly reserved for films like Eraserhead, or Begotten.

The film perfectly captures the stress-filled, pretentiously grim mind of it's main protagonist, and consistently heaves it into it's viewers' faces. Rarely, have I ever felt so isolated from watching a film, yet so simultaneously "at home" with the film's characters. It truly is a unique experience, and the outstanding cameos (Korine, Kim, etc.) throughout the film only strengthen it further.

I mean, you wouldn't necessarily call it a forgettable film...would you?
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|