View Single Post
Old 10.17.2006, 02:04 PM   #10
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by UVRAY
I agree that character is important.

But you can tell a lot about a person's character by their record collection.

Show me someone who's whole record collection is made up of Take That, New Kids On The Block, BoyZone, Spice Girls, All Saints and countless other lightweight, manufactured pop acts and nine times out of ten I'll show you a person of detestable spiritual qualities and character.

I have records by all but Boyzone. I also have a lot of other records by other people. I don't really like NKOTB or Spice Girls. I stand by Take That, and All Saints had some blinding singles.

The best litmus test for me isn't looking for 'cool' records (by this point everyone and their dog are aware of the Velvets - my copy of s/t has been in my mum's collection for months now, and she's not particularly hip). The secret is asking people what their most 'embarassing' record is. I discovered this almost by accident. I was at a party where there were a lot of 'cool' records being played by the host - your Moby's, Fatboy Slim's, that sort of deal - I asked the host what her most embarassing record was (the one she enjoyed but was afraid to play). She puts on this Huun Huur Tu record, followed by some Finnish yodelling. Much, much cooler.

I know so many people with 'hip' records like Velvets and Joy Division and PiL and that sort of thing. How many people really listen to them? How many people only listen to them because they're 'classics'? How many people realise that Mis-Teeq, S Club 7 and Take That produced some of the greatest pop of the 90s?

Blathering, blathering post. The important thing is - reject classics kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|