View Single Post
Old 07.10.2023, 01:33 PM   #25496
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
redemption... for whom? from what? who here needs "redemption"?

the sister gets away from all that but it's not a redemption thing. she just fled. she likes to read and knows that mozart was actually from the 18th century, lol. so she's escaping dumbfuckery and the confinement of a very primitive social system and goes to be a librarian. colm who is apparently cultured (although maybe not as much as he thinks) and being studied by musicians or at least collaborating with them (there was a big irish culture revival thing in the 1920s and before, see for example yeats) wants to escape dumbfuckery too but by staying in place. dominic who is perhaps the stupidest of all escapes via death.

but yeah, this is old western ireland. it's not regular modern ireland with the euro and corporate headquarters in dublin hahaha. it's a tough place.

anyway i found it more comical than anything. almost like dougal and father hackett fighting hahahahaaaaaah. (father ted also happens in western ireland)

For the audience. For the characters. There was nothing but sadness. Well first there was mild comedy, then it was utterly undercut by excruciating, omnipresent sadness. Which is fine and all from an artistic perspective — I’m not going to judge anyone who makes art like that — but I don’t have to enjoy it, and I did not fucking enjoy it.

I found it oppressively dreary, devoid of any hint of genuine heart. Like, sure, all-too-obvious parallels to Irish civil war abound, got it, but motherFUCK that was a sonofabitching EPICALLY bleak film.

“Let’s just linger on this dead donkey, and this man crying over the carcass of his best animal buddy, who died for absolutely no reason. And let’s just make people want to vomit with despair!”

Like I just feel that I’m at a point in my life where that kind of unrelenting bleakness-for-the-sake-of-bleakness can just go fuck itself in the dickhole with a corkscrew. I don’t need it. Certainly not from a film that pitched itself as a hilarious comedy.

No fucking thank you. Again, fuck that shit in the dick.

No offense intended.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|