View Single Post
Old 07.10.2023, 02:37 PM   #25497
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
filluhm!
yes! hahahhaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
For the audience. For the characters. There was nothing but sadness. Well first there was mild comedy, then it was utterly undercut by excruciating, omnipresent sadness. Which is fine and all from an artistic perspective — I’m not going to judge anyone who makes art like that — but I don’t have to enjoy it, and I did not fucking enjoy it.

oh yeah for sure you don't have to like it.

the escape hatch (the "redemption") was the laughter, of course.

like, laughter at the guy sleeping with all his animals inside the house like a nativity scene or ace ventura, for example. that was very funny to me.

(because remember these are his "companions" but also shit all over the house like the sister said)

or laughter at the epically exaggerated figure of that crone.

or the bitch shopkeeper opening and reading other people's letters.

or the drunk cop passed out in his house naked.

lots of other things were very funny to me.

dominic was very funny until he wasn't. sad for sure, but not just sad. most of the time he was funny.

if you did not find those or otjer things funny then sure there is nowhere to go from there and the filluhm gets a very different interpretation.

Quote:
I found it oppressively dreary, devoid of any hint of genuine heart. Like, sure, all-too-obvious parallels to Irish civil war abound, got it, but motherFUCK that was a sonofabitching EPICALLY bleak film.

i don't know that "the irish civil war" was the thing it was about. it would be too on the nose. i saw it as a background for sure, as related maybe, but not as a "this is that."

i was never in the irish civil war, but i have been importuned by idiots, for example. who hasn't? i understand colm's predicament. i don't agree with his dumbfuck methods hahahahahahaaa.

but a lot of people will cut their noses to spite their faces. that shit is common in our world. it's good to see an antimetaphorical treatment of that scenario.

Quote:
“Let’s just linger on this dead donkey, and this man crying over the carcass of his best animal buddy, who died for absolutely no reason. And let’s just make people want to vomit with despair!”

it was not a big linger, and yeah it was fucking sad, but i did not feel nausea or despair. i was more puzzled by how the donkey had died. at first i thought it was murder (it wasn't).

the little donkey was an accident, honest to god. but the little donkey is also a metaphor for "the heart" that you saw lacking in the film. of course the heart dies in him he becomes a fucking bastard. still dumb but a bastard.

so maybe that is what killed the donkey. the donkey died of metaphors. but no actual animals were harmed, it is a fictional device.

at the same time it's hilarious that the dumb guy basically wants to live in a barn stepping on shit.

Quote:
Like I just feel that I’m at a point in my life where that kind of unrelenting bleakness-for-the-sake-of-bleakness can just go fuck itself in the dickhole with a corkscrew. I don’t need it. Certainly not from a film that pitched itself as a hilarious comedy.

it was hilarious! not just bleak. but yeah it cannot be hilarious to all. me for example i never liked... what was it called... peep show. i only like the bit about "the baddies" with the nazis, but generally it was too humiliating to its characters for my taste so i had no room left to laugh.

Quote:
No fucking thank you. Again, fuck that shit in the dick.

No offense intended.

none taken ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

we can talk about movies for sure, but we can't argue about taste
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|