View Single Post
Old 01.11.2023, 07:40 AM   #25397
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I watched a bunch with the girlfriend during the weekend.

• The Pale Blue Eye: Pretty good, not great, but the cinematography is really something and Christian Bale is always a delight.

• The Menu: Very good. Had no idea what to expect and was definitely invested as soon as things got going. Weird movie but very well done.

• Gremlins: Doesn’t really hold up. Pretty racist at times too, or at the very least xenophobic. They include a little “When will you learn” line about the environment or whatever at the end, but it still feels like it’s about non-western cultures being bad.
ALSO, so they give birth when they touch even a single drop of water but not when they drink beer or touch snow? Makes no goddamn sense!
ALSO ALSO, the main guy, Billy, sucks. Phoebe Cates’ character tells him this horrifying story about her dad’s tragic death and Billy literally says nothing, not a word in response.

• The Burbs: I’m sorry but this sucked. Felt 3 hours long, was only 1.5 hours of non-jokes and bad slapstick and misunderstandings followed by a twistaroo ending kind of. Tom Hanks and Carrie Fisher are great but the movie is a snoozer. Also there’s a Gremlins cereal in the background, which means Joe Dante created a universe in which he, Joe Dante, made the same movie the real Joe Dante did in real life, and that there are doppelgängers of Corey Feldman and other actors who overlap in both movies. Lmao.
I saw like half of this when I was just a wee child and my mom made me stop. Can’t remember why but I finally finished it 30 years later and I guess that’s something?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|