View Single Post
Old 09.17.2017, 01:50 PM   #21456
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Hate to say it but I'm getting close to writing off contemporary horror. If someone strongly recommends something I'll give it a try but I increasingly feel like I'm not just wasting money on new releases but time, when I could be seeking out older stuff I haven't seen before which, from experience, is almost guaranteed to be better.

Yep. There seems to be maybe one horror movie every five years or so that's truly great. Like the most recent one I can think of was "The Witch," and it was very atypical for a horror film. So much so that it's not even really "horror" — still, it's the kind of film that seeps into your bones.

Before that there was "Let the Right One In," which was fucking fantastic, but again very weird for a horror film. Almost more art-housey at times (like "The Witch.")

there are probably a couple fun, worth-watching horror films that pop up on a semi-annual basis, like "It Follows" ... and I hear this new "IT" is pretty good. But are they great? Nah. Maybe two great ones per decade. Looking into older films is almost certainly a better bet.

Though I have heard good things about "Transfiguration" and "Raw," neither of which I can substantiate as I've seen neither. My guess is that they both subvert the rules of the genre in some way. If they really are good, that is.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|