View Single Post
Old 07.12.2023, 09:43 AM   #952
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Yes. I think you took my words a bit too literally, but then again, I could've worded things better. I'll post a decent reply... when I'm no so thirsty. I need some of that good ol' Coca-Cola again.
i did exploit a turn of words in the idiom to point out an actual difference in government institutions, but it wasn't just a rhetorical gimmick, i tried to make an honest point that i think truly matters.

the brazilian process cannot be replicated in the usa context, the "how" absolutely matters, as (among other things) we lack a judicial devoted solely to elections and we have a house of representatives enthralled by a maniac.

note that bolsonaro may be under investigation etc etc but he's not in jail for any crimes. he's presently only in "electoral jail" for 8 years (pending appeal).

but ultimately the corruption of the republican party by trumpers is what's really to blame here. but then again, no fourth separate power to appeal to.

brazil has a lot more parties, but... they were illegal until... 1979 or something? i wouldn't make the tradeoff.

i hope the system eventually works here. but the system is the system... and it's very slow to change for many historical and ideological reasons.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|