Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Patrick Suskind is my new favorite author
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.28.2008, 12:19 PM   #1
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Patrick Süskind was born in Ambach, near Munich, in 1949. He studied medieval and modern history at the University of Munich. His first play, The Double Bass, was written in 1980 and became an international success. It was performed in Germany, in Switzerland, at the Edinburgh Festival, in London, and at the New Theatre in Brooklyn. His first novel, Perfume became an internationally acclaimed bestseller. He is also the author of The Pigeon and Mr. Summer's Story, and a coauthor of the enormously successful German television series Kir Royal. Mr. Süskind lives and writes in Munich.

parfum is fantastic, the pigeon even better in a different way. the narration is hallucinogenically detailed, the emotion cynical without being pessimistic, the tone drenched in sarcasm with a light at the end of the tunnel, the dialouge believable and refreshing, the internal dialouge of the main characters are realistic. in fact, Parfum and the Pigeon are the only books I have ever read where the narration and the main characters think like I do. It was like reading my own mind at times, especially the pigeon, very surprising. if you haven't read any of Suskind's books you should. Parfum inspired Nirvana's scentless apprentice.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.28.2008, 12:25 PM   #2
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
a heathen!?!?!?

wow...

good for you!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.28.2008, 12:29 PM   #3
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
a heathen!?!?!?

wow...

good for you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L18QXKRugOs

the heathen's back them, pon the wall Jah put the heathen's back them, pon the wall, so rise up freedom fighters, rise and take your stance today, see he who fights and runs away lives to fight another day cuz the heathen's back them pon the wall Jah put the heathen's back them pon the wall....

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.28.2008, 05:51 PM   #4
girlgun
invito al cielo

girlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's asses
i am about 30 pages from finishing perfume. i had just barely heard of it until someone tried to return it to a friend in front of me. i snatched it up to read.

i fucking love it. such a bizarre and wonderful book. i wish it wouldn't end.
girlgun is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.28.2008, 06:19 PM   #5
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Patrick Süskind was born in Ambach, near Munich, in 1949. He studied medieval and modern history at the University of Munich. His first play, The Double Bass, was written in 1980 and became an international success. It was performed in Germany, in Switzerland, at the Edinburgh Festival, in London, and at the New Theatre in Brooklyn. His first novel, Perfume became an internationally acclaimed bestseller. He is also the author of The Pigeon and Mr. Summer's Story, and a coauthor of the enormously successful German television series Kir Royal. Mr. Süskind lives and writes in Munich.

parfum is fantastic, the pigeon even better in a different way. the narration is hallucinogenically detailed, the emotion cynical without being pessimistic, the tone drenched in sarcasm with a light at the end of the tunnel, the dialouge believable and refreshing, the internal dialouge of the main characters are realistic. in fact, Parfum and the Pigeon are the only books I have ever read where the narration and the main characters think like I do. It was like reading my own mind at times, especially the pigeon, very surprising. if you haven't read any of Suskind's books you should. Parfum inspired Nirvana's scentless apprentice.

He's excellent, and he excels at a kind of concise yet detailed description that absolutely places you at the scene. Thinking of Perfum in particular, I always remember the descriptions of the Parisian bridge, where the shop is, as being especially evocative.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth