Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Teenagers and 20 -somethings
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.10.2007, 05:58 AM   #61
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
Really this isnt any different to the generation before or the generation before that. Chart Music has almost always sucked, the majority of people have always been idiots, Teenagers have always been outsiders and a 'great' band (in the sense of impact anyway) only comes around every so often. In short there will always be people standing on soap boxes shouting about how the current generation sucks or is in someway inferior to the last and they should almost completely be ignored... Rock out, peace and sonic love

If you dont like teenagers, you dont like teenagers...just remember you were all young once. Teenagers tend to act rebelious when they have a reason to rebel. But often this 'acting out' is nothing more than a persons frustration at being bossed around and told what to do at an age where to an extent one should have the cognitive ability to make decisions for oneself. Its funny how all the kids I knew that were bossed around and strict parents 'rebeled'. My mother would have never dreamed of treating me like that. As such we have never had a real argument since I was 12. Treat Teenagers like adults, dont talk down to them, let them make their own decisions but always be there for them. That is the recipe for a healthy, intelligent and wise teenager.
Old 04.10.2007, 04:31 PM   #62
macrodollar
little trouble girl

macrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washing Machine
Teenagers have always been outsiders

Nay, my friend. Youth culture didn't exist in its own right until the 50s as far as I am aware, kids just lived amongst their parents. I'm so glad someone put a stop to that!

Lux, I agree that there's a problem with people stopping intellectual growth at a young age (very often when out of education), when they "settle down" so to speak. Washingmachine often tells me about these idiots who used to argue with him and it sounds terrible, but I don't think its particularly representative. Now I am older I get into bigger disagreements with my elders and I usually come to the conclusion that they are simply set in their ways because they are from an earlier generation. The next one moves on, then stops when they reach their middle ages, to be dismissed as idiots by their offpsring. That's how it looks to me. Society moves on, old people don't. Everyone eventually becomes narrow minded bastards, though Washingmachine and I always swear we will never be like that.

It's funny how his posts are often a recollection of what we have discussed the night before.
macrodollar is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.10.2007, 04:43 PM   #63
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
Im sure youth culture has always existed in some fashion. Although it certainly came into force in the 50s. Just around the time they figured out they could sell stuff to kids. We can certainly say that teenagers have always been spoken down to and treated like second-class citizens...which is the whole crux of the problem here.
Old 04.10.2007, 04:46 PM   #64
macrodollar
little trouble girl

macrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard sucka
Funny coincisence there
macrodollar is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.10.2007, 04:51 PM   #65
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Someone posted a link to a book all about the whole "selling rebellion to kids" thing I always rant about when im drunk....it seemed like your type of book
Old 04.10.2007, 05:06 PM   #66
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
youth culture is a term that did not exist until the early 1950's. Post WWII
youth culture is a stupid term and youth culture is stupid. culture is culture.

once it gets a name, then people start to treat it like it has always been there. the same fucks that started the whole "youth culture" crap are the fuckers that did not want to be mature and groen up in the 6's and instead dropped out and tuned out, and then recovered in the 70's and started making bucks, because the drop iout scen4e is pointless and useless, and then they got into hedonism for hedonism's sake with cocaine qand sex binges, thereby bringing on the sexual revolution andthe spread of disease that came with it, and thos every same fuckers are now all reaching retirement age and you will see them convert the "old age" into some sort of "youth" aimed bullsht, as they do and did with everyting. the generation that refused to grow up is getting old and will die soon.
Old 04.10.2007, 05:26 PM   #67
alteredcourse
expwy. to yr skull

alteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's asses
i enjoy teenagers for their precariousness and how everything they feel seems to bleed out of them in extremes . everything to be experienced is magnified and blended into the world in huge, awkward strokes . even the shy wallflower types . its all very dramatic .

but at the same time , im quite often irritated about how many teenagers' language all comes out as some sort of boasting . even if its about something completely mundane and un-noteworthy .
alteredcourse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.10.2007, 08:54 PM   #68
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodollar
Nay, my friend. Youth culture didn't exist in its own right until the 50s as far as I am aware, kids just lived amongst their parents. I'm so glad someone put a stop to that!

age segregation, which is the artificial isolation of people in age ghettos, is a factory of dead intellects and maimed souls. teenagers are not a bunch of cunts per se, it's when they talk only to themselves & believe their own crap without any additional input that they become life's equivalent of walking turds. same thing happens to any age group as a matter of fact-- children adults, the old, you name it. they become close-minded & "spiritually" dead. you need a mixture of innovation & experience to have a rich culture that does not fossilize.

having said that, young people have always come up w/ new shit. go read about the german romantics in the late-late XVIII early-XIX century who would put today's "youth culture" to shame as a tired repetition of commercial values. jean-paul, novalis, the schlegel brothers, von kleist, tiek, fichte, etc.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth