Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Call Girls and Dictarors [editorial]
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.25.2008, 01:40 PM   #1
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Ethiopia: Call Girls And Dictators

The Monitor (Kampala)
OPINION
24 February 2008
Posted to the web 25 February 2008
Kiflu Hussain

As it so happened with most so-called developing African countries during the Cold War period, it was Ethiopia's terrible fate to switch sides to the Soviet camp in the 1970s. Consequently, anything western was condemned as imperialistic invasion of culture. Particularly, for those of us who were in our teens from the "petit bourgeoisie" family, it was unbearable to part company with Hollywood movies only to be fed up with propaganda that glorified the fatherland.
Thankfully, the total reduction of the media into a propaganda machine for the state forced us to seek other forms of food-for-thought. And, so we turned to books mostly written by American and British writers Although, I realised long ago that these writers were part of the ploy to win the minds and hearts of poor souls like me, I admit grudgingly that they accomplished their task with style. Whatever the outcome of the psychological warfare, I would like to cite an example for the purpose of this article. Among the many characters portrayed by the prolific writer Irving Wallace (RIP), I remember one in "The Almighty." That fictional character was a journalist who became disillusioned and never failed to be cynical about it. So, another rookie asked him: "If you dislike journalism so much, how come you're in it?" to which he replied: "How come a whore is a whore?"
The reason I brought this up is to show that I mean no disrespect to our sisters who have been forced into the oldest profession by necessity. In fact, as no one is immune from necessity, I am also dictated by it to draw a parallel between dictators and call girls.
Again what prompted me to draw this parallel is George W. Bush's recent tour of Africa. Despite his claim of having a commitment to Africa, many doubted his sincerity due to Washington's long history of double standards and hypocrisy.
Many columnists, including a Ugandan who contributes to the New Vision from Toronto, expressed their opinion to this effect. Although, I didn't read his article regarding Bush's imminent departure from the White House and how Africa would be relieved, I came across an American who got incensed by the article.
This American earlier told me that because he's a Christian who is against abortion and gay marriage, he opposes the Democrats who are fairly liberal. By contrast, he supports the Republicans, because they uphold his 'Christian values'.
We had a bit of an argument whereupon he said: "Why does everybody expect America to liberate him?" to which I countered: "Nobody, certainly no African asked for America to be his liberator. Rather, everybody criticises America for invariably getting in the way of the struggle for liberation by siding with dictators on the grounds of short sighted "strategic reasons."
I told him how top American officials are preparing to kill a bill known as H.R 2003, Ethiopia; Democracy and Accountability Act 2007 which has already been passed unanimously by his country's House of Representative. I explained to him how this "Secretaries and their assistants" for Africa are colluding with lobbying firms to have it vetoed by President Bush.
I told him too how the Ethiopian regime, apart form gagging free speech went to the extent of jailing and expelling journalists from The New York Times in May 2007. I also told him how an American law professor named Abigail Salisbury was recently sacked from an Ethiopian university because of an article she published about the absence of academic freedom.
The reason I didn't tell him about the plight of local journalists and human rights advocates is because he claimed that they are biased and their assessments are exaggerated - a claim which, in fact, sparked off our argument. The sad part is, despite his claim of extensive travelling, he hasn't even heard of the most talked-about and controversial author and filmmaker of his own country, Michael Moore, thus proving to me what I heard about the proverbial ignorance of Americans.
Before we wound up our argument, he asked me: "If Bush supports dictators like you said, why didn't he pay a visit to Museveni or Meles Zenawi?" Though had talked about that, I felt the need to elaborate.
You see, since the end of the Cold War and the collapse of the Berlin Wall, the fad is democracy, market economy and globalisation. Therefore, whether genuine or sham, you need to have an election and give it an appearance of a democracy. The trouble is in this age of information technology, no one succeeds hiding anything for long
Hence, when it becomes untenable to be seen with those tyrants whose cruelty has become gruesome and glaring, you summon them to your place like one does a call girl for his perverse need.
Remember; though all condemn the oldest profession, almost all interacts with it surreptitiously. Realpolitik too requires "Statesmen" like Mr Bush to keep at arms length "important strategic allies" like Mr Zenawi.
Mr Hussain is an Ethiopian refugee living in Uganda

from
http://allafrica.com/ethiopia

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.25.2008, 01:52 PM   #2
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses

do you see the picture of the Emperor looking down mournfully on the brutal savage [Mengistu] who would destroy three thousand years of herritage and kill hundreds of thousands...

and here is this asshole [Meles Zenawi, the other asshole is out soon, though in America they are all the same puppeteers], he has been in power for five years longer then Mengistu was, and has done only better in comparison, but not actually, in fact, he as technically done worse considering the opportunities Ethiopia has had in the past 15 years....

Old 02.25.2008, 02:02 PM   #3
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

bush dancing in Liberia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfTCqWpQto8

Old 02.25.2008, 02:03 PM   #4
m1rr0r dash
invito al cielo

m1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's asses
Dictarors:

m1rr0r dash is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.25.2008, 02:23 PM   #5
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses

!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth