Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page the attention given to Madeleine McCann is a disgrace
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.28.2008, 06:12 PM   #1
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
A real rant for you now. I thought this story had finally gone away, alas, obviously not. Ben Affleck has postponed the release of his Hollywood directorial debut due to Madeleine McCann's disapearance, though it was over a year ago.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-concerns.html

Quite honestly I think the media attention given to the dissapearance of this young girl is an absolute fucking disgrace. 100s of kids go missing every year, and the idea that because it has happened to this seemingly pleasant and quiet middle-class family this once case deserves over a year's ceaseless media coverage is a hideous betrayal of the other families going through the same thing. So why don't other kids that dissapear make the headlines? Well, they're probably working-class, black, disabled, or even... BOYS. And so it is that Madeleine McCann, because shes kinda cutsie looking, gets all the headlines and whats more, millions of pounds worth of funding to help find her.

At this juncture I must make clear I'm not a heartless bastard, and I sincerely hope this young girl is returned safely to her family. However, with every passing day, this becomes more unlikely - and the continuing media coverage more absurd.

The McCann's story has become a media soap opera, it sells papers, and therefore we can expect perhaps a good few more years of this coverage.

However, theres a more sinister aspect to this case. And thats the money- so far the Find Madeleine fund has had many millions of pounds worth of donations. Where does this money go? If the fund had ZERO donations a thorough police inquiry would have still been carried out. A couple of monthes ago tabloids reported her parents had been using it to pay off their mortgage. Make of this what you will, but bear in mind these papers are responsible for this ever getting blown out of proportion in the first place.

This media coverage is absurd and unjust. I hope it stop soon.

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2008, 06:35 PM   #2
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
well i didn't know who this was and then you post something about it

A DISGRACE I SAY

lucky for me i only read the title so i remain safe
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2008, 05:39 AM   #3
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
well aren't you a clever young button

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2008, 06:11 AM   #4
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
i find it strange that the dissapearance of one child is given more media coverage than another when as you pointed out 100's go missing in a year. what made me angry was the fact that the media were not reporting news, they were just looking at them (the mcanns) like specimens under a microscope and they did it for days, weeks, months.

i also find it strange how the news channels keep on asking us to send 'your news' into them, when in actual fact we know nothing and relly on the news to tell us whats happening in the first place. it seems almost as if journalists are scared to investigate stories anymore.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2008, 06:13 AM   #5
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
i kind of agree, it's like exploitation in a way. yes, it's a shame that it happened, i hope they find the girl, boo hoo etc. but yeah lots of other kids go missing, it just so happens that a nice middle class family's kid went missing and the sun or the daily mirror can make money from it.
Old 05.29.2008, 06:30 AM   #6
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
bottom line.. there is still a lovely little young girl missing out there somewhere. thats the story thats the point.
Old 05.29.2008, 06:31 AM   #7
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
its certainly true that the press, or certain parts of the press use subjects to sell newspapers with a holier than you attitude. whats going to sell more papers the one with a headline of corporate crime costs us millions or child molesters in your area!!! find where and see their pics!!!

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2008, 07:28 AM   #8
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
I'd like to comment on this, but have been stuck in an Austrian cellar for the past 20 years.
Old 05.29.2008, 09:04 AM   #9
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
I like it here in America, how when an ethnic child goes missing it is reported for an hour or so. However, when a white child goes missing(usually a girl) the coverage goes for days on end. Till we either find her, or find the missing corpse.
✌➬ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2008, 09:06 AM   #10
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
I'd like to comment on this, but have been stuck in an Austrian cellar for the past 20 years.

How did you find the keys to the ground floor, then? Right, another 3 months added to your punishment.

Seriosuly, though, the press is full of creeps. I bet someone is going to make a documentary for channel 4 that questions the very existence of this little girl, at one point.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth