Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page samuel beckett
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.06.2008, 10:13 PM   #1
chairman of the bored
the destroyed room

chairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard sucka
Who's down with this guy? I love his work and I'm reading through The Unnamable for the first time right now...ridiculous. Anyone else read this thing? So seemingly pointless but incredibly compelling. I first came across him in a Modern European Novel class. We were reading Molloy and I was in love. Most people were haters. I made a comment to the effect of "if he intended to piss you off and you're pissed, that's hilarious". Anyway. I <3 Samuel Beckett. Anyone else?

Oh. And what else should I read of his? Done with Molloy, Malone Dies, Godot, and Endgame. Where next?
Old 11.06.2008, 10:41 PM   #2
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
I have more contact with his playwrite skills than novels or other writing, but he definately extremely talented.
Old 11.07.2008, 08:36 AM   #3
strictlycommercial
bad moon rising

strictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's asses
If you fancy a novel go with Watt, it's one of the most infuriating and fascinating things I've ever read in my life.
strictlycommercial is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2008, 08:41 AM   #4
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
I wrote a Thsesis for my Master graduation about 10 years ago.
"Dominance and subservience in the works of Harold Pinter" . Beckett is often refered to as they tend to explore similar topics.
Interesting.
Old 11.07.2008, 02:47 PM   #5
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
i love Endgame

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2008, 03:01 PM   #6
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
I've only read Waiting for Godot

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2008, 04:20 PM   #7
Silent Dan Speaks
the destroyed room

Silent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's asses
I read Molloy but never got around to Malone Dies and The Unnameable. I wish I did though, he's pretty great.
Silent Dan Speaks is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2008, 04:34 PM   #8
akprodr
the end of the ugly

akprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's asses
I was a fan of Quantum Leap. Does that count?
Old 11.07.2008, 06:24 PM   #9
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I'm going to see Godot next year. Get me. My favourite of his is Krapp's last tape. He's one of those people it's very easy to like, but almost impossible to have anything more interesting to say about him. Like Freud on Dali, there's no real insight except that it exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2008, 07:06 PM   #10
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
"ever tried ever failed, never mind, try again, fail again, fail better" my was on a poster in my direct eyeline during my final exams last year, its a good job i have gangland connections that allowed me to pass

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.09.2008, 10:36 PM   #11
breligion
little trouble girl

breligion cold hard suckabreligion cold hard suckabreligion cold hard suckabreligion cold hard suckabreligion cold hard suckabreligion cold hard suckabreligion cold hard suckabreligion cold hard suckabreligion cold hard suckabreligion cold hard suckabreligion cold hard sucka
I read Waiting for Godot while I was in high school. I loved it. I felt like it was life changing:q I've read it since and I still love it.

I was really... enjoying.. Watt, but I've never been able to finish it.

I look forward to reading something else by Beckett someday. Maybe I'll find it in myself to finish Watt...
breligion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.10.2008, 12:08 AM   #12
chairman of the bored
the destroyed room

chairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard sucka
Word on the streets was that Murphy was the next I should take on...but it seems like Watt is the one making noise around here. I'll check it out. Still not quite finished with The Unnamable, but loving it. So disorienting, so good. I wonder how his poetry and short stories are...
Old 11.10.2008, 07:45 AM   #13
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
ian mckellan and patrick stewart are doing godot next year in london
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth