Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page fuck you christmas
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.23.2008, 04:36 PM   #41
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
yes, that is exactly my point, it can be useful, but I think your implication was that the religion of christianity stole its use, rather than coincided with.
Yes, that's what I meant: christianity appropriate itself the winter solsitce, and claims it as its own.
Quote:
As I said before, my birthday often falls on the celebration of MLK's birthday, but am I borrowing or stealing from the good Dr King?
I'm not aware of that tradition.
MLK is born in the 20th century, so I guess his birthday is known with no doubt.
So is it like Easter, not the same day every year?
Quote:
12When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." (John 8:12)
Alright.
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2008, 04:40 PM   #42
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Technically Jesus was born during a census, and no one would have called a census in December. So he was most likely not born on Christmas or anywhere near it.

But holidays are borrowed and stolen for whatever reason. Christianity [might have] borrowed solstice, and consumerism borrowed Christmas.

Who cares when? Celebrations evolve, but it's not like Pagans can't celebrate solstice because it's been overrun, or Chrisitans are no longer able to celebrate Jesus' birth because it's been corrupted. We are capable of celebrating whatever the fuck we want, when we want. At the same time.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2008, 04:47 PM   #43
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gualbert

I'm not aware of that tradition.
MLK is born in the 20th century, so I guess his birthday is known with no doubt.
So is it like Easter, not the same day every year?

no, MLK's birthday celebration does not fall on his actual birthday, but the appropriate following monday, which is how my birthday often coincides with the holiday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticrock87
Technically Jesus was born during a census, and no one would have called a census in December. So he was most likely not born on Christmas or anywhere near it.

But holidays are borrowed and stolen for whatever reason. Christianity [might have] borrowed solstice, and consumerism borrowed Christmas.

Who cares when? Celebrations evolve, but it's not like Pagans can't celebrate solstice because it's been overrun, or Chrisitans are no longer able to celebrate Jesus' birth because it's been corrupted. We are capable of celebrating whatever the fuck we want, when we want. At the same time.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to acousticrock87 again.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2008, 05:03 PM   #44
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
since Christmas Eve was my mom's birthday and since my mom had passed away two years ago, I've grown up to hate this period of the year.

holy shit slavo, i just caught that post-- so very sorry.

i hope you're ok this year.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2008, 05:03 PM   #45
mangajunky
expwy. to yr skull

mangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's asses
Isn't it against the tenets of the real Christian faith to celebrate the birthday of anyone regardless? In fact, the only New Testament mention of a birthday that I can think of was Herod's...and he ordered the beheading of John the Baptist on that one.

Don't let yer meat loaf.
mangajunky is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2008, 05:44 PM   #46
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses

Old 12.23.2008, 05:51 PM   #47
mangajunky
expwy. to yr skull

mangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's asses
cock and balls?

Don't let yer meat loaf.
mangajunky is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2008, 06:19 PM   #48
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Christmas is perhaps my favorite holiday mostly for the chance to read a book by the fireplace.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2008, 07:27 PM   #49
terriblecanyons
invito al cielo

Location: the land where large fuzzy dice still hang proudly like testicles from rear-view mirrors
terriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

Probably the most intelligent post in this entire thread.
terriblecanyons is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2008, 08:06 PM   #50
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangajunky
Isn't it against the tenets of the real Christian faith to celebrate the birthday of anyone regardless? In fact, the only New Testament mention of a birthday that I can think of was Herod's...and he ordered the beheading of John the Baptist on that one.
They just didn't at first because Jews didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terriblecanyons
Probably the most intelligent post in this entire thread.
Not true. You forgot:
Quote:
Originally Posted by terriblecanyons
i liek pancaeks
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2008, 08:08 PM   #51
terriblecanyons
invito al cielo

Location: the land where large fuzzy dice still hang proudly like testicles from rear-view mirrors
terriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's asses
Hahaha. I must agree, my "i liek pancaeks" post was rather intelligent and relevant.
terriblecanyons is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2008, 09:17 PM   #52
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
yes, that is exactly my point, it can be useful, but I think your implication was that the religion of christianity stole its use, rather than coincided with. As I said before, my birthday often falls on the celebration of MLK's birthday, but am I borrowing or stealing from the good Dr King?

I agree there is no reason not for both Christmas and the solstice to fall around the same time of year. However, the early Christian church did set Christmas at the time of the pagan holiday specifically because it made it easier to convert people if the holidays seemed essentially the same. If you read the Golden Bough, it's rather interesting what the origins of the Christmas tree were - it was actually a tree used in sacrifices that was set on fire with people in it!

So, for your analogy to be valid, you would have to actually be born some other time of year, then look at Dr. King's birthday and say, "Wow, a whole lot of people are celebrating on this here Monday in January, maybe I'll move my birthday to then!" And then you'd have to make special calendars for your friends and family that replaced MLK Day with your birthday. Assuming they never talked to anyone else about it, they'd all think you were the reason the mail didn't get delivered and the banks were closed, and that you must be a pretty important dude.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2008, 09:30 PM   #53
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
holy shit slavo, i just caught that post-- so very sorry.

i hope you're ok this year.

thanks dude, you're nice.
i hope it's gonna be ok tomorrow.
i had too many pear brandy shots tonight, i'm off to sleep now.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.24.2008, 01:11 AM   #54
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
my class is going to a midnight mass tonight at a place that sings the gregorian chants, im pretty excited. hope they wont look at us strangely (us being the killers of the birthday boy and all)

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.24.2008, 01:30 AM   #55
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazifan
(us being the killers of the birthday boy and all)
LOL!
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.24.2008, 02:29 PM   #56
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
well its a white christmas here, over a foot of the stuff. ho ho ho.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.24.2008, 02:30 PM   #57
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.24.2008, 02:30 PM   #58
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
"Breaking News: Santa Suspended For 'Ho' Comment"
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.24.2008, 02:44 PM   #59
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
I agree there is no reason not for both Christmas and the solstice to fall around the same time of year. However, the early Christian church did set Christmas at the time of the pagan holiday specifically because it made it easier to convert people if the holidays seemed essentially the same. If you read the Golden Bough, it's rather interesting what the origins of the Christmas tree were - it was actually a tree used in sacrifices that was set on fire with people in it!

Yes and no. The Roman celebrations of Christmas most definitely coincide with so-called pagan celebrations, particularly that of the cults of Mithras, also to specifically aid in the conversion of the masses of soldiers and military men who were devotees of Mithras, however, this was all occurring in the fourth century.

The celebration of Christmas itself, though not around the solstice, was celebrated in Alexandria and Syria, the origins of Christianity, as early as the end of the first century. It was at the first great Eccumenical Council that the entire church of ALL Bishops, eastern and western, African, Asian and European, met together to codify the Church. Here at the Council of Nicaea, the universal celebration of Christmas at the Solstice was established, and the Eastern churches set the dates on their calendar to coincide (in Ethiopia the 29 of Tahisas is December 25 of the old Julian calendar and in Egypt the 29 of Tankah). This is so permanently accepted, that the Orthodox communion did not switch like Rome to the Gregorian calendar, and so Orthodox Christmas is on January 7, (the 29 of Tahisas) and correlate to the original christmas, and are now removed from the actual solstice date.

I think it is safe to infer that the Eastern churches and bishops all accepted the December 25, not just because it coincided with Mithrasism which only benefited Rome, but also themselves, in codifying a universal date to celebrate the birth together, as ONE, solitary Church. If these bishops accepted the date, there must be more too it than Roman desires to convert Mithras military cults, because this was not the same circumstances in other Christian realms. Because everyone accepted this date, it is safe to assume it has more Christian elements to it than just Rome's great conversion plan..

accepting Christmas as being on December 25 ONLY as a result of competition with Mithras is rather Euro-centric and western biased, there are nearly a billion Christians who have nothing to do with Rome at all!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.24.2008, 02:49 PM   #60
sarramkrop

It does mean nothing, but if you take the time to think that abject negativity means even less, you might get to see the positive things, not just the negative ones.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth