Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page baby names
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.30.2009, 09:10 AM   #1
looking glass spectacle
100%

looking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asses
so three of my close friends had babies this month, all girls for some reason.

their names are

ansley lynn lastname
ziggy stardust lastname
annika zuzu lastname

... i've never had a problem with unusual names, in fact i think ansley lynn is particularly boring. but now that, at least for me, it's no longer a hypothetical question, but a specific living breathing tiny helpless creature that might potentially get made fun of later in life because of her parents "cool name choice" i wonder....

ziggy stardust was named before her parents knew her gender. the now say they will call her mostly by her middle name. i guess stardust is a pretty cool girl's name...

so where would you draw the line on unusual names? how weird is too weird?

looking glass spectacle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2009, 09:13 AM   #2
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
my son's first-name is "normal". his middle-name meant "tyranical king of the monkeys" until my wife messed up the spelling.

I'll let you guess which one I picked out.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2009, 09:40 AM   #3
artsygrrl
the end of the ugly

artsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's asses
I'm an elementary school teacher who have had students with a huge variety of names. I would say that, for the kid's sake, go with a name that won't draw attention to him/her on a personal level. I love kids, but they will latch on to anything "different" about another kid. Then they turn into a group of piranhas zeroing in for the kill. To subject your child to this is no damn fair. Believe me, your kid just wants to fit in with the others. For God's sake if you love the name so much then replace your own damn name with it.
artsygrrl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2009, 11:00 AM   #4
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
i know two sisters named rio sky and sea shell. always thought those were cool
Old 07.30.2009, 11:03 AM   #5
looking glass spectacle
100%

looking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
im sorry, but ziggy is destined for serious problems.

if she goes by stardust or just star, i think it wouldn't be too bad. they live in LA, so there will probably be plenty of kids with weirder names than stardust [stereotypical italian lastname].

Old 07.30.2009, 11:11 AM   #6
artsygrrl
the end of the ugly

artsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's asses
I agree. There are some names that are beautifully cool, like the ones you mentioned. I know girls that are Sky, Skylar, America, Brooklyn, Summer, and alot more that I can't recall at the moment. Also, I had a boy student whose name was Ontario. I swear to God I wanted that name baaaaaad.
artsygrrl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2009, 11:29 AM   #7
looking glass spectacle
100%

i'm actually more worried about annika zuzu van [name of a dutch city]... but if she's anything like her parents, she'll turn it into an asset instead of a liability...

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth