Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page most overhyped pitchfork thread ever
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.05.2009, 02:31 AM   #21
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
Hah. That Pitchfork parody was awesome.

That said, Pitchfork make my head spin. Some things they love about records that they give high scores to will be the same things they hate about other records. I've seen them get song names wrong, confuse the record to the point you wonder if they even gave it a decent listen (Or even maybe a full listen), and try so damn hard to be witty and show how great their vocabulary is that I sometimes can't even get through a review in one sitting. That bad.

They also jump on the bandwagon, like say for Neutral Milk Hotel (An 8.9 I think for the first review, and then a ten once everybody started talking about it).

~Jeremy~

Jeremy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2009, 02:46 AM   #22
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I never understood the point system, actually. 0.0 to 10. That's, what, 101 possibilities for a score? How do they factor this? How can you listen to a record and know, out of 101 possibilities, what to score something? I can understand.. you know.. rating out of 1-5 or 1-10, or whatever; that seems pretty simple. But 101 different possibilities for a score?

Can you imagine the dilemmas (you know, if their scores weren't based upon ad revenue, rock-star-cocksucking, record label handjobs, and their own public image): "Man. I just gotta call somebody up. This record is totally deserving of an 8 or 9. But I gotta think of the number after the demical point. An 8.5? No, too high... 8.4? Eh. That looks like I don't know if this deserves an 8 or a 9! Dilemmas!"

(oh wait, somebody just called the writer up and said, "Such and such shit band's record label just bought ad space! You better give them a good score!"

"Oh shit," says the writer, "This record is 8.6 yo! Problem solved!"
That's one of the main things that shits me about Pitchfork. It's like they want to tell you exactly how good an album is.
Old 08.05.2009, 02:50 AM   #23
TheFoxBen
expwy. to yr skull

TheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's asses
This thread is terrible

0.0/10 for sure !

TheFoxBen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.09.2009, 08:28 AM   #24
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
I might catch heat for saying this but that album completely deserved the score it got. One of the few times Pitchfork was right with a review.

~Jeremy~

Jeremy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.09.2009, 09:01 AM   #25
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
You know, I don't think I've ever bothered to look at Pitchfork. A state of affairs I'm more than happy to continue.
Old 08.09.2009, 09:06 AM   #26
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark

Either way, this has to be the worst review ever penned by a "critical music site" (some will say the nyc ghosts and flowers one is worse, but at least it was FUNNY, if misguided; this is just embarassing... read it aloud!):

[Review of Kid A]

I think you obviously don't have a very thorough knowledge of Radiohead-related fanzines based in the UK, c1995-2000. That review is Proust in comparison to some of the journalistic bilge I have in a pile I've marked 'fanzine shite'.

Kids, just remember: never get involved in fanzines, you will only regret it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.09.2009, 09:08 AM   #27
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
You know, I don't think I've ever bothered to look at Pitchfork. A state of affairs I'm more than happy to continue.

I read it once. It reminded me of SYG. Opinionated, indier-than-thou pricks with ever-so-slightly different tastes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.09.2009, 09:12 AM   #28
sarramkrop

I read it twice because I was linked to it regarding a band that I like. It's beyond criticism, too bland for hatred. Atsonicpark sure reads it a lot, for someone who dislikes their opinions.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.09.2009, 12:05 PM   #29
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
I quite like Pitchfork myself. I see no problem with them. I read it pretty often: their news are okay. I often disagree with their reviews, but so what? Opinions are opinions. I don't really care about their opinion, and I rarely even read their reviews, but I can always check out the bands they review - if I don't know them yet - and make my own opinion about them.
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.09.2009, 01:57 PM   #30
Kylerobert
bad moon rising

Kylerobert kicks all y'all's assesKylerobert kicks all y'all's assesKylerobert kicks all y'all's assesKylerobert kicks all y'all's assesKylerobert kicks all y'all's assesKylerobert kicks all y'all's assesKylerobert kicks all y'all's assesKylerobert kicks all y'all's assesKylerobert kicks all y'all's assesKylerobert kicks all y'all's assesKylerobert kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not gonna lie, I actually read pitchfork a little. I don't really care for it but I don't know where else to go to find new music suggestions. If there's one good thing I've gotten outta pitchfork recently, it is Kurt Vile. They didn't give that record too high of a score which is funny because it's better then most the stuff they review.
Kylerobert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.09.2009, 02:26 PM   #31
Theremin
little trouble girl

Theremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy
I might catch heat for saying this but that album completely deserved the score it got. One of the few times Pitchfork was right with a review.

~Jeremy~
No.
Also, that review never seems to be about the actual record. Then again, the dude who wrote the NYCG&F en Kid A's reviews quit working for Pitchfork years ago.
It's a very hip, indier-than-thou thing to dislike that site in general btw. I mean, maybe it's just not your taste but In Rainbows for instance is a pretty fine record that fully deserved that high score it got and you'll have to look hard to find a review anywhere who dislikes it.
Theremin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.09.2009, 03:10 PM   #32
sarramkrop

Why so often when someone dislikes a band or something music-related they have to be tagged as trying to be hip/contrary at all cost? Can it not be accepted that often somebody just doesn't have the time for a band or website simply because they don't have any interest in them?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.09.2009, 04:26 PM   #33
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Why so often when someone dislikes a band or something music-related they have to be tagged as trying to be hip/contrary at all cost? Can it not be accepted that often somebody just doesn't have the time for a band or website simply because they don't have any interest in them?
Well, often when someone likes a band he's tagged as trying to be hip as well. I guess we're just all hipsters following the hype blindly like zombies
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.09.2009, 08:36 PM   #34
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

infinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's asses
A lot of people are
infinitemusic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth